Things just aren't working out. Stupid body.

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
I've not been detecting much lately, as my body continues it's slow revolt against me living...

Lately, I've been dealing with all kinds of weird pains in large muscle groups. I really struggle to go up and down stairs, getting up from chairs or just moving large movements (arms and legs). Fine motor control is A-ok.

I think it's some sort of myopathy (which basically tells me nothing), but I've got medical help coming as soon as I can get in.

Living is definitely worth it, but dang if it's just not the same living vicariously through all the posts here. I'd sure like to be out finding my OWN gold. LOL

Point is, never take for granted that you can get up and down in the field, folks. I'm a whopping 42, and struggle to stand in the last month. LOL You wouldn't know it by looking at me... Nothing wrong with my physique... just stuff ain't workin'!

Skippy

I'm 71 and i try to get out for a couple of hours a day. You never know how many you have left. i think that forty years of detecting is what has kept me going this far. i will admit that there are days that it seems like the stairs get steeper with more steps. Other days I choose a lighter detector to hunt with. I used to hunt all day but those days don't happen as often as they used to. I guess a lot depends if i am hunting alone or with friends. A couple of hours seems about right most days.

So true! You definitely can't take mobility for granted!

My gran had early onset arthritis at 20 and was wheelchair bound before I came into the world. She lived far longer than she was supposed to, but there was so much she wasn't able to do because her body wasn't up to it.

I take after her in a lot of ways and the realization that my own body may fail me sooner rather than later is why I've done loads of traveling and hiking and geocaching and now detecting in early adulthood rather than waiting til after I've "made it" in life or retired.

Maybe I'll be fully functional for decades to come, but if not-- I've made the most of the time I've had ne. Not much more you can do than that.

Back
Top Bottom