• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Protecting Pro Pointer tip?

AZWIP

Elite Member
Howdy... seems my Pro pointer tip is starting to wear out... I see two tiny holes at the tip of the tip (is that normal?)... what is a good way to protect the tip? Any ideas? Am about to throw some duct tape on it, but figured ya'll may have had some experience with this? Thanks!

Howdy... seems my Pro pointer tip is starting to wear out... I see two tiny holes at the tip of the tip (is that normal?)... what is a good way to protect the tip? Any ideas? Am about to throw some duct tape on it, but figured ya'll may have had some experience with this? Thanks!

wow, do you do a lot of your actual "digging" with your pp'er? duct tape won't protect it against any great amount of wear and tear since the plastic of your pp'er is much tougher than the tape. maybe give it a real good cleaning (but by the sounds of it, don't get it wet if you can avoid it!) and dip it in some of that rubbery/plastic stuff for coating tool handles. i honestly don't know if that would last or for how long, but i suppose it's better than nothing.

I have used mine for almost two years now and I hunt a LOT of hours and I am pretty rough on mine, I can't hardly believe your wore thru the hard plastic? Do you use it in gravel a lot?

Dipping it?

Hmmmm, has anyone else tried the dipping thing? Also, are those two tiny holes on the flat part of the tip normal? They are each about pin hole size? Maybe its normal and I just never noticed it?

Yeah, I use mine a lot... but also would find it hard to believe if it is indeed wearing thin... have mine now for about 2 years... but just maybe, those two tiny holes are "normal"? They look exact and are on the flattened part of the tip... hoping I never noticed?

Duct tape? Lol.

Definately dont use it to dig around with. Maybe fill the holes with some epoxy, dry and sand smooth and round like tip, then spray some bedliner over it? I dont know, just a suggestion

Yup

I agree, nope, don't dig with it, just use it - alot. Lol.

So, can I assume yours does not have the two tiny holes in the tip? They are set into what appears to be two tiny triangles... again, makes me think they are "normal".

And no, hardly ever use it in gravel... mostly grass, albeit some fairly dried out stuff out here in the desert from time to time... but again, mostly lawns in parks and schools.

A photo

Here is a photo... also, using a needle... I could clean out the dirt... no photo and it does not seem that these are "holes", but perhaps indentions... hard to tell.

Attachments

• IMAG0313.jpg
    IMAG0313.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,404
I dipped the end of my HF pin pointer in liquid rubber to help protect it. I haven't had my pro pointer long enough to put much wear on it yet.

anyone?

Howdy. Has anyone looked at theirs to see if they have the same holes or indentations? Still holding out this could just be the way they are made. Lol. I tried looking on the net to see a good photo of one. No luck. Thanks folks.

Howdy. Has anyone looked at theirs to see if they have the same holes or indentations? Still holding out this could just be the way they are made. Lol. I tried looking on the net to see a good photo of one. No luck. Thanks folks.

well i just cleaned the dirt off mine and took a look and mine has no such holes, the only thing mine has is a small indent(not a hole) in the very center on the tip which i would think is from the mold

Thanks. Reckon ill just put some super glue all over that portion of the tip. Can't hurt. Thanks for checking.

Howdy again. Super glue not such a Great idea. Dries all flakey. I may go out and buy that liquid rubber I guess unless anyone has a better idea? Thanks folks.

i'd think the liquid rubber might start coming off if your doin any scrapping with the pinpointer. maybe hit it with some bedliner spray, that dries much harder and seems to hold up well on my coil

I didn't notice any difference in the way the pin pointer worked. The liquid rubber will start coming off after a while, but it is easy to replace. Super glue will shatter if hit when it dries.

Yeah. Got to do something here shortly. This dry desert ground sometimes is like sand paper. So far seems the vote is either bed liner or rubber dip. Too bad there is nothing to skip over it. Hmmmm... maybe a trip to the ol hardware store is in order. Lol.

Attachments

• caps.jpg
    caps.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 1,182
  • shrink.jpg
    shrink.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 1,165
Back
Top Bottom