8 year old wins!

REAL_RAT_FINK

Forum Supporter
My eight year old boy has started joining me on my hunts. I have him set up with an elite 2200 which is very light, a small pouch, a digger, and a pinpointer. Our first couple of hunts there was lots of instruction but he's really getting the hang of it. Now he wants to go everytime I hunt which makes me a happy dad.

Today was no different. Decided to hit one of my old reliable sites and he wanted to come along. I have detected this site so many times but it continues to give up the goods. After about 2 hours of hunting, he wanders over to where I'm at. A few feet away I hear the high CHING CHING tones. If anyone has used the elite 2200 you know how beautiful that sound is, like a slot machine winner. I told him he better dig that and he was already pulling the scoop out. After some tough digging out pops a black dime, a 1939 Merc. We were both thrilled!!

A few moments later I popped out a Big Bear Lake vintage silver ring which I'm stoked about. Also found 6 wheats, the oldest being 1917, an old lipstick case, a 1911 Be Prepared BSA pin, and some other odds and ends. Too much fun seeing your kid pull an awesome find. Happy hunting!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171124-151521.jpg
    Screenshot_20171124-151521.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 557
  • 20171124_134543.jpg
    20171124_134543.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 552
  • 20171124_133656.jpg
    20171124_133656.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 542
  • 20171124_123142.jpg
    20171124_123142.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 567
  • 20171124_133706.jpg
    20171124_133706.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 543
Good on you OP! My parents are both gone, but I still have childhood memories I'll never forget.

Congrats to you both on all the cool finds!

What a fun hunt! It must be great to have along your little son as your hunting buddy. :grin: Congratulations to both of you on the cool finds!

My eight year old boy has started joining me on my hunts. I have him set up with an elite 2200 which is very light, a small pouch, a digger, and a pinpointer. Our first couple of hunts there was lots of instruction but he's really getting the hang of it. Now he wants to go everytime I hunt which makes me a happy dad.

Today was no different. Decided to hit one of my old reliable sites and he wanted to come along. I have detected this site so many times but it continues to give up the goods. After about 2 hours of hunting, he wanders over to where I'm at. A few feet away I hear the high CHING CHING tones. If anyone has used the elite 2200 you know how beautiful that sound is, like a slot machine winner. I told him he better dig that and he was already pulling the scoop out. After some tough digging out pops a black dime, a 1939 Merc. We were both thrilled!!

A few moments later I popped out a Big Bear Lake vintage silver ring which I'm stoked about. Also found 6 wheats, the oldest being 1917, an old lipstick case, a 1911 Be Prepared BSA pin, and some other odds and ends. Too much fun seeing your kid pull an awesome find. Happy hunting!

That's great that he's into the hobby so young. You'll get a few extra years before it's "not cool" anymore. :)

My best two years of hunting were with my son from 12-14. Once he hit 14, it all kind of dried up for him... I miss it horribly. There's no falling out or anything, it's just not his thing any more. :(

That's great that he's into the hobby so young. You'll get a few extra years before it's "not cool" anymore. :)

My best two years of hunting were with my son from 12-14. Once he hit 14, it all kind of dried up for him... I miss it horribly. There's no falling out or anything, it's just not his thing any more. :(

Thanks for sharing Skippy. None of my kids are teenagers yet so you share good insight. Best to use this time while he's still interested.

Who knows, maybe your 14 year old will come around again...

Great hunt! I love to hunt with my sons and they are now in college, but when opportunity comes we're out there. Enjoyed your post.

Back
Top Bottom