Tumbled my clad and pennies...

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
Just a quick post, with some snow and fairly cold temps I decided to go ahead and clean up my copper memorial cents and the clad / nickels. Ended up with 15 lbs 9.5 oz of the clad and 13 lbs 7.9 oz of the cents. I don't have a $$$ total yet, will do that toward the end of the year.

Just an FYI I use an inexpensive American made old tumbler, some aquarium gravel, white vinegar, a bit of lemon juice, and water to clean the coins. Hope everyone who can still detect is getting out there and making some good finds!

Attachments

• clad1.jpg
    clad1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 544
  • clad2.jpg
    clad2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 511
Looks like you're about all set to play some Donkey Kong.

Hah! Probably will turn it in for one gold coin or a nice batch of 90% US Silver.

Congrats on the harvesting of a bumper crop of clad ! Great photos too !

Thanks Soil Surgeon! Here is a pic of the clad rolled up, it came to $274.

Attachments

• rolls.jpg
    rolls.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 362
Just an FYI I use an inexpensive American made old tumbler, some aquarium gravel, white vinegar, a bit of lemon juice, and water to clean the coins. Hope everyone who can still detect is getting out there and making some good finds!

Just posting on this thread once again , to thank you for posting your cleaning recipe . While cleaning my garage I found a container of clad coins I had forgotten about ( about $18 worth ) from last year :D .Most where very heavily oxidized .
I added some other clad I found on a few recent hunts (almost $3)and used my recipe (water and ammonia ) only about of a fifth of the coins came out clean and shiny .
Using Ammonia sucks and You have to rinse the coins off outdoors on account of the fumes . The remaining coins were still so "red" I didn't think any thing would make them presentable .
I didn't have any aquarium gravel so I used my old standby Steel Shot BB's .The coins came out great !I will be using your recipe from now on ! :yes:
Thanks again for the great tip ! :goodidea: :waytogo: :waytogo:

Just posting on this thread once again , to thank you for posting your cleaning recipe . While cleaning my garage I found a container of clad coins I had forgotten about ( about $18 worth ) from last year :D .Most where very heavily oxidized .
I added some other clad I found on a few recent hunts (almost $3)and used my recipe (water and ammonia ) only about of a fifth of the coins came out clean and shiny .
Using Ammonia sucks and You have to rinse the coins off outdoors on account of the fumes . The remaining coins were still so "red" I didn't think any thing would make them presentable .
I didn't have any aquarium gravel so I used my old standby Steel Shot BB's .The coins came out great !I will be using your recipe from now on ! :yes:
Thanks again for the great tip ! :goodidea: :waytogo: :waytogo:

Very neat, Soil Surgeon, glad that "recipe" worked out for you! Thanks for the kind words, and best wishes on pulling more good coins!

Back
Top Bottom