Display Detectors in the Water

imalookin2

"In Memory Of"
Forum Supporter
Most of the posts now are for the EQ. Guess it is a scaled down (probably good) version of the CTX. Having left the CTX since I am a "in the water hunter" and have had numerous leaks, I am hoping for something good. Guessing there are no real tests in the water yet until WP phones are available. ML will sell millions before they can see the leaks. ;) kidding

My issue with those machines is in the water the display is useless. Actually it is a liability since it is something else to break or leak. Something to break putting it in the car. Even when you get waterproof headphones the display will be as useless as the CTX since you can't see it. Dang, I hated to get a signal and can't see the damn display. I have spent hundreds of hours chest deep carefully swinging with the best water settings I have found. The CTX is good on some things and bad on others. My Excals go deep and in the water you don't need a display dragging. I can see buying an EQ for wetsand though. Any water hunters using it in the water yet, chest deep? :laughing:

Basically

Imalookin , most are waiting for the WP headphones , some have elected to buy some off Tony on here, figuring they will get them before ML get's the Phones out, well most CTX3030s had the seal leak in the battery compartment, were the Equinox battery is sealed in the handle, that shouldn't be an issue, as far as the head leaking it looks like it's sealed well, anyway a 3 year warranty cover's this, so not a major concern, i agree with you however on a couple of things, completely submerging the Excaliburs will do the job, knee deep to the dune, being the machine is so light vs the CTX3030, it will be a great addition to the arsenal, did you get a Equinox 800, or another one of those guy's trying to bring a NOX premo - bash ON howboutit :?::lol:

Most of the posts now are for the EQ. Guess it is a scaled down (probably good) version of the CTX. Having left the CTX since I am a "in the water hunter" and have had numerous leaks, I am hoping for something good. Guessing there are no real tests in the water yet until WP phones are available. ML will sell millions before they can see the leaks. ;) kidding

My issue with those machines is in the water the display is useless. Actually it is a liability since it is something else to break or leak. Something to break putting it in the car. Even when you get waterproof headphones the display will be as useless as the CTX since you can't see it. Dang, I hated to get a signal and can't see the damn display. I have spent hundreds of hours chest deep carefully swinging with the best water settings I have found. The CTX is good on some things and bad on others. My Excals go deep and in the water you don't need a display dragging. I can see buying an EQ for wetsand though. Any water hunters using it in the water yet, chest deep? :laughing:

Here is what they need to come up with. A machine with only an on and off switch. Have two sealed compartments, one for the battery and the other for the electronics. Hardwired coil and headphones and a bluetooth app for your phone. Make all the adjustments you want via bluetooth and start hunting. No display, no seals to leak unless it is the battery compartment and no display.

I don't know why that wouldn't work.

Here is what they need to come up with. A machine with only an on and off switch. Have two sealed compartments, one for the battery and the other for the electronics. Hardwired coil and headphones and a bluetooth app for your phone. Make all the adjustments you want via bluetooth and start hunting. No display, no seals to leak unless it is the battery compartment and no display.

Several reasons. Not everyone has a cellphone. Rain and nonwaterpoof phone. Freezing cold and not able to tap little buttons on a phone, never mind get it out of your pocket or waders. Water hunting or diving. Cellphone battery dies or falls out of your pocket and breaks. Decide to take the detector on a 2 or 3 day trip prospecting or on a holiday. Dozens of reasons why that wouldn't work.

My understanding is .... the phones there is to much difference and some work well others not so well.

Ima......this machine to me is an improved Xcal. The TID screen like you said is VERY useful out of the water..... its more sensitive.... lighter and swings easier..... you dont have to listen to 50 tones.... no knobs and less repairs i believe. BUT time will tell....... and hay at least the Xcal has headphones.:laughing:

Has anyone seen a comparison test of the

Equinox 800 versus an Excal in any of its' configurations.

Just while wading keeping the screen out of the water.

I'm kind of invested in Excals and will participate in such a comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_1417.JPG
    IMG_1417.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 308
Greg if you get one before the WP phones come out I can make you a pair. Not hard to use the screen. It stays on the number for a good bit. All you do is foot mark and raise up for a screen peek out of the water. Where you are it is likely you don't have a lot of water targets most days/nights. So no big issue taking a screen looksee. Look at the bright side. You can buy 3 of the 800's for about the same as one of your CTX's that floods:lol:

Too cold to me to water hunt here and sanded in. But fixing to see if my wetsuit still fits and test it anyways chest deep.

Ok so a phone won't work I guess. How about a propriety display like the Deus has. Turn on the machine, program it with the interface, Put that away safe in the vehicle and go hunt the water. I do not change anything while detecting underwater anyway. For you waders you can keep it on you if it is waterproof to 10'. You can hipmount the box and just use a shaft and coil.

I know the technology is there.

did you get a Equinox 800, or another one of those guy's trying to bring a NOX premo - bash ON howboutit :?::lol:
I might buy one after I see posts from water users. I am 95% in the water when I hunt and stay waist to chest deep to support my weight. I am like a manatee, I use the water to float my carcass. :laughing: When I used the CTX I could never see the display unless the water was real clear. The display was too easy to hit with the scoop too. Hope the 800 works out for you guys.

My understanding is .... the phones there is to much difference and some work well others not so well.

Ima......this machine to me is an improved Xcal. The TID screen like you said is VERY useful out of the water..... its more sensitive.... lighter and swings easier..... you dont have to listen to 50 tones.... no knobs and less repairs i believe. BUT time will tell....... and hay at least the Xcal has headphones.:laughing:
Improved Excal sounds good. Thought about you when I posted. You started using the CTX about the time I sold mine. Been flooded and display problems. I never thought you would go to the dark side after all the success you have with the Excal. Good to hear you like the EQ. Can't wait to hear if they keep out the water.

How funny would it be to download the app and start messing with someones machine while they're hunting. I could have some fun messing with earl's settings :laughing:

Greg if you get one before the WP phones come out I can make you a pair. Not hard to use the screen. It stays on the number for a good bit. All you do is foot mark and raise up for a screen peek out of the water. Where you are it is likely you don't have a lot of water targets most days/nights. So no big issue taking a screen looksee. Look at the bright side. You can buy 3 of the 800's for about the same as one of your CTX's that floods:lol:

Too cold to me to water hunt here and sanded in. But fixing to see if my wetsuit still fits and test it anyways chest deep.
CTX would not stay on the number long enough. When I lifted it, the reading would go...
Water is still cool here. Waiting for my leg surgery to heal so I can go. Maybe if I sell my GT I can invest in an 800. Know anyone who wants a GT? Keep in mind I have a guest room with queen bed. :D

IMA.... i dont have a problem hunting with either one. Bad thing as you know about the CTX is .... swings like a dead horse. Gives me a work out.... but with my disc and settings it seems to do well. Ive AIR.... yes AIR tested everything ive found with the EQ against the CTX. Not a single piece so far has the CTX been deeper on. What i like Greg is the ability to fine tune the CTX over the Xcal.... thou in the water the Xcal can cover more ground it just moves better. The EQ can be a chatty beast.... but we kind of expect that if the machine is suppose to be hotter on small gold.

Imalookin2

Personally i think it won't take the pounding , handle vs wave action, mine has come loose twice just from swinging on land, the battery compartment is in the handle, if your a diver like scuba away from the wave's, than it might be ok , but it's only waterproof to 10 foot, this is why , for me i will be using it knee deep to dune line , might take it in further if it's a calm day, this machine is multi purpose Light, but to me look's fragile , it's not a Excalibur replacement , it's not a CTX3030 replacement, however it is a machine at a mid range price that does all, and so far for the buck is a wonderful machine , my plan is this, at the beach EQ 800 knee deep to dune line , CTX 3030 low tide line to dune line, that's- with the 17 coil -they can't take a pounding, hope the 15 EQ coil it built better , Excalibur 800 over knee deep, things might change when ML gets on the band wagon and get's the 15 coil out for the Equinox, for what your looking for, along with DEW , in my opinion i don't think it will stand up to what you want to use it for, but Dew being on the gulf side it might , in my opinion i think it will be for my uses listed , if you get a Equinox 800 give it some time before judging the machine, so far i like it, but still learning, as someone is posting every hunt, only to post negative on the machine , when he hasn't learned the machine yet , in the long run, Karma follow's , as other's are posting great find's, and he is posting only negative, but his last post found some nice silver, but still negative , happy hunting , Earl

Hi Guys,, I am still old fashion. I still use my old Whites Surfmaster 2. I don't even know how many years I been using it. Don't worry about a meter. Just go by sound. Always keep the seal cleaned and greesed. I have sent it in just for a check up. Nothing wrong. Darn good detector. It is no good at a salt water beach. Just don't like that salt.

KEN :D

Captain Silver

Got out 6 times last month , still have plenty work to do here , it's the calm before the storm, all is well, i have a extra CTX3030 here , if you want to beam you way back from the stone age buddy, i know silver up their - is like clad here , no big deal, its been a while since i seen you on the water forum, are you hunting the beaches again ? Is your Sword Excalibur still working ? Did you water proof your antique Explorer ? Nice to see you up here , happy dirt diving Earl

Surf........ i think this machine is going to hold up well. It wont take long because a good many of my hours will be check deep with it. If shes going to leak...... ill be testing that warranty.:lol: I like the tip of that coil is spot on for PPing. Only thing i dont like is the wires out the back.... hoping they dont vibrate to much in the water and crack something... like a connector.

Back
Top Bottom