• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

First Anniversary Finds

Rather-B-Huntin

Elite Member
Today marks one year since I took up this awesome hobby, so I figured what better way to celebrate than to get out for a hunt!
I started off the afternoon at my family's farm. My relatives have inhabited this land for over a century, so I was very enthusiastic thinking about what I might find!
The first thing I found was that I came under dressed, and that my right boot was leaky. My foot was saturated in a matter of minutes. The temperature was hovering just above freezing with winds steady around 5-10mph with the occasional 20mph gust. It was cold!
Things started out slow, with a lot of plugs producing small pieces of slag (the original farm house burned down about 25 years ago leaving tons of melted metal all around). I found my first MD fired bullet and hit a couple of Memorials and a '52 wheat in the first hour. I was just about to head down the road to an old fallen down school house when I got another copper penny signal. That began a run of five consecutive wheats in about 10 min. After digging the last wheat, I rescanned the hole and was getting a consistent 83 on the AT Pro about a foot away at six inches. The high pitch of the tone and the number of wheats I'd been pulling just gave me that silver feeling! I cut the plug and I saw the impression of a dime in the dirt when the plug came up. I quickly scanned the hole and there was that unmistakenly beautiful appearance of dirty silver! Not the old Merc or Barber that I was hoping to find, but a fine condition '63 Rosie was my prize.
At this point, the satisfaction of pulling silver and my freezing digits compelled me to call it a day at this spot. Can't wait to get back there one a better weather day!
I decided to run by my parents house on the way home to get in the last half hour of daylight in their neighbors yard. This is the same spot I pulled my first Merc and pocket watch from a couple of weeks ago. With daylight fading fast, I was getting a bouncy 84-86 at six inches. Hoping for another silver dime, I was very surprised to pull what initially appeared to be a clad Half. After a quick spit shine, it turned out to be my first token! A Green River Whisky token! In researching these, I was almost shocked to see how much they are going for on eBay. Mine is pretty worn and wouldn't fetch as much as most shown for sale, but these things are in demand!!
I'd hoped to post some pics this evening, but will need to wait until tomorrow to do so as I'm just to pooped to clean everything tonight!

Merry CHRISTmas to all!!!

Back
Top Bottom