Tesoro questions

kc9ljo

I am interested in getting a Tesoro detector. I like the simplicity, and reputation of the Compadre specifically. I have two questions though. First, when they refer to "silent search" what does that mean? I figure it can't actually be silent as it's only means of indicating a target is with a beep. And second do these machines have different tones that indicate different types of targets, or is it just one tone all the time?

Thanks

I am interested in getting a Tesoro detector. I like the simplicity, and reputation of the Compadre specifically. I have two questions though. First, when they refer to "silent search" what does that mean? I figure it can't actually be silent as it's only means of indicating a target is with a beep. And second do these machines have different tones that indicate different types of targets, or is it just one tone all the time?

Thanks

Silent search means no beeps, tones or noises unless it is swinging over metal.
In the real world there might be some false noises here and there but there is no constant threshold tone like many units possess using all metal for instance so basically silent search.
The Compadre has an all metal knob setting but unlike a Vaquero it is just hunting in disc while accepting all targets with no threshold tone so still silent search.

Except for the Golden model most other Tesoros have one tone but don't think that is all there is to it and that these are "beep and dig" units only...far from it.
There is a language, some techniques and behavior we all learn that can give you about as much info about hidden targets as those that use screen units and I know because I have many, many hours using both kinds and still do.
There is an amazing amount of possible information in that one tone and I have always said learning to hunt the Tesoro way with sound only can only have positive effects and results in the future for any hunter that does no matter what kind of units they end up preferring to use

As far as how to use a Tesoro, the basics anyway, here is something I posted long ago in answer to a new owner of a Compadre that had questions about how it works and how we use it.
Post number 2 in this thread....

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=77822

I still pull out my Compadre from time just for a change and mostly because it is just so much blasted fun to use...and still so productive.
Last week I used it in a heavily hunted area and still managed to find a totally hidden and masked 1917 buffalo nickel.
I have always said no matter how many types of detectors you have in your arsenal everyone should definitely also own a Compadre...a no brainer IMO.
For the price of a decent coil you get a complete unit that can do some amazing and jaw dropping things.

That single tone carries a lot of information, they change most every aspect of it, to better describe the target. I like it better than numbers and graphs on a screen. I bought the Deleon model a few years back, thinking a screen with numbers is needed. Mostly just look at it, if I want a second opinion, and in a place where digging a lot of plugs close to each other, probably not a good idea, can always go back another day. I'll dig most anything that sounds really good, and usually a coin, or coin-like, but also interesting and unusual sounding stuff, good surprises sometimes.

Agree

Yup, totally agree, the Tesoros will start to "talk" to you, the more you use it.... the better you will like it.... you can really size an object and get a pretty good "feel" off the sound and "hit".... after a while it becomes instant.... and you will know... ah, coin, tab or ring - you will know its the right size and shape right off... me I'm a gold jewelry hunter.... so has always been neat and exciting to know... right off.... its the right size and shape... for a ring or coin... I know you can "thumb" the disc and that will tell you more.... but again as a gold jewelry hunter... I'm gonna dig everything that comes in right at min or better in disc mode with my Tesoros. I know, I dig a ton, but for me, its been worth it. Love the hobby, just plain fun. Lol

So far, I don't need or use the pinpoint feature on my Tesoros where applicable... just running the coil back and forth, I can zero in on the item in seconds... all machines have pros and cons, and often the enjoyment is based on the character holding the detector... lol.

Enjoy and happy hunting!!!

Ron

P.S. And as always, some great advice from D27! :thumbsup:

Take a look at the Tejon, it is supposedly a good machine that is a deep seeker. I swung a Silver Sabre for many years, still have it, it's a fast paced fun little detector, only drawback is no notch discrimination and rarely find a penny deeper than 5 to 6 inches with it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Tesoros have a sweet sound that pretty accurately identifies a good target , once you learn it , its not always accurate but once you learn it can be very effective. There is a " round " sound that usually means coin , that can really be addictive. A detector with the sweet Tesoro sounds but also with all the information available on a large view screen would be awesome , but that's just not their thing I guess.

Any experiences with a tesoro cortes?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Any experiences with a tesoro cortes?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I opted for the Deleon instead. The cortes has a ground balance in all metal mode but does not transfer over to discriminate mode. The ground balance is pre set for the discriminate mode, so I chose the Deleon, it has pre set ground balance in both modes. Now having it, I would sooner opt for a detector with ground balance capabilities instead. I think there are better options out there for the money.

Thanks

It's a great machine for the money. Single tone analog is quite good , once you put time using it, you will understand what's under the coil, depth including for the most part. Most good targets will sound round and smooth, trash will be sharp or brittle sounding....

Take a look at the Tejon, it is supposedly a good machine that is a deep seeker. I swung a Silver Sabre for many years, still have it, it's a fast paced fun little detector, only drawback is no notch discrimination and rarely find a penny deeper than 5 to 6 inches with it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you are new to detecting, the Tejon might be a bit much to start. It does go exceptionally deep, I have had one, but it is erratic and chatty. The dual discrimination is a great feature. I find it to be more of a relic machine compared toa coin hunting machine.

If you are new to detecting, the Tejon might be a bit much to start. It does go exceptionally deep, I have had one, but it is erratic and chatty. The dual discrimination is a great feature. I find it to be more of a relic machine compared toa coin hunting machine.
It can always have the sensitivity lowered until learned. The dual discriminate can be set to mimic notch. Wish I had the dough for one. It's the only other Tesoro I'd buy.:yes:

You're right on that, however as a new detectorist (I assume) I feel the Tejon is a bear to learn. Someone with limited experience will be happier with a machine that is not so temperamental.

You're right on that, however as a new detectorist (I assume) I feel the Tejon is a bear to learn. Someone with limited experience will be happier with a machine that is not so temperamental.

You can not go wrong with the Tesoro Vaquero .
As a first detector or an experienced hunter the things are incredible .
I have one and my 23 year old son also has one . The depth ins crazy good and used models are the best bang for the buck out there in my opinion . It's a big boy machine that can keep you happy for many years . It's a sleeper for sure with the abuilitybto manually adjust your settings fast and as you hunt . super tune it and it is deep !
Find a good deal on a Vaquero
HH , Dew

I've had a number of Tesoros over the years. I still swing the Deleon and also have a Compadre. In the past I've had the Tejon (I've had 4 over the years), Vaquero, Tiger Shark and the Cortes.

The Tejon was definitely the deepest. It's also the one that will get you digging a foot down to recover a BB. The Cortes was a pleasure to use, and was a great coin shooter, especially for our Canadian coins. If it says "95" even once while you swing, dig. 60 hours on a set of batteries, even with occasional use of the backlight. I should have kept that one. The Vaquero is a great machine. It's way more fun than the Tejon as it seems a lot more stable. It's still very deep, but I found the super-tuning to be minimally effective. Kiss discrimination goodbye and watch it signal on rocks. No thanks. But with the threshold set back a bit, negative ground balanced slightly and sens around 10 it was plenty deep enough. My only complaint was poor battery life. I was dropping a 9V in every third hunt. Still, a great machine, and one that I would strongly recommend.

Dan

p.s. forgot about the Outlaw. I had one of those too. Didn't really see any advantage over the Vaquero I had at the same time, so I sold the Outlaw.

I started with a Tesoro and one of the advantages of it was that it taught me to listen to the signal first, which was not intentional (I just bought most machine with least amount cash) but wound up being very valuable technique. Bibelot mentioned ground balance, I couldn't agree more. When I talked to a Tesoro tech he said anything west of Mississippi river should have adjustable ground balance. I didn't buy one with adjustable ground balance and I still found stuff, when I upgraded the fourth time I got one with adjustable ground balance and was night and day difference. Anyway good luck on your purchase and have fun!!!!

Back
Top Bottom