i mean "really new"

Just Plain Bill

I have a detector but have been able to find practically nothing with it. It is a cheap one and I believe mostly useless. I want to get into metal detecting but really know nothing about it which is the main reason I joined this forum. How do I get started? I see so many different detectors out there--which one should I buy? I really couldn't go much over $500 but do I need to go that high? Who can advise me or where do I turn for help? Thanks anyone!

Hi, welcome , youve come to the right place..im sure you will get a fair amount of advice here.. what type of places do you plan to hunt, backyards, parks, beaches, ect. what unit do you presently own? there are some good machines available in that price range such as tesoro compadre, garrett ace 250, fisher f5 is right at the very top of your price range..I havent used any of these previously mentioned machines but theres plenty of people on here who have... go to kellyco or a sponsers webpage to get an idea of prices...then do your research , read reviews, whatch videos and eventually you will be able to narrow down what unit will work best for your needs.... good luck and happy hunting...

Im also from NY, so googled your town. Looks like you have some good history and near some beaches? Maybe a used ATpro would be what you want. Good on land and you could hit some of that fresh water. A friend has the pro and does well with it. But with any detector you need to put in the time to get proficient with it. Good luck.

I would suggest the AT Pro. I have an ACE 250 that I really like That I put a DD coil on since I already had the detector. But for an initial purchase I would say the At.

Talk with Jeff at qualitymetaldetectors , one of the sponsors of this site. He will help you make a decision and set you up with a really good deal.

Get a Ace 250 or something like one of these and hit the tot lots to get a feel of your machine

Welcome to the forum, I purchased the Garrett Ace 350 as my 1st. detector. I like the DD coil & it was very simply to learn. It has found many great finds (see Avatar). After being a member & in to the hobby for a while I wound suggest the F2 w/ coil package. Great detector for the money, probably get a cheap pinpointer also. ( better than nothing)
I wound not spend a lot of $$$ on a detector until I was sure I like the hobby.;) Welcome aboard.......:gottaluv:
List of sponsors/ Top right hand corner
GL

Welcome to a place with much information. There are many great detectors out there and can find great deals on slightly used machines if you look around. Many people start with garretts but there are also some great minelabs whites and tesoros for starters :yes:.

You can find a lot of good detectors in the $500 range, and honestly you can't go wrong with any Fisher, Minelab, Whites, Teknetics, Tesoro, Garrett, Etc. Your best bet is to just look at them all and see which ones appeals to you. We all have our favorite brands and detectors but what one of us might like, might not be your thing. It's like Chevy Vs. Ford. :D But like I said, stick with those brands, buy the best you can afford, and you will be happy.

welcome to the show.....

~ i seriously advise looking at a minelab x-terra 305/505/705... very reliable accurate machines, and you can find them everywhere, ive been detecting for awhile and still use a x-terra 305

Welcome to the forum from NE Texas. Call one of the sponsors of this site and I am sure they can help you pick out the detector that would best suit you. I buy all my stuff from Chuck and IndianNationsDetectors and would recommend him highly. He has great prices, quick shipping, and he is very knowledgable.

Welcome to the Forum. Try going on the Kellyco store website to learn about the difference between concentric coils and DD coils. There is also a feature where you can compare different detectors spec to spec. Then contact one of our Forum Sponsors here to decide which detector is best for you and what accessories you will NEED and "pull the trigger". Youtube has tons of videos covering about every detector out there. Of course ask your questions here. GL and HH. Matt

Back
Top Bottom