Mystery bucket advice

TECTONATOR

Round on the Ends & Hi in the Middle = OHIO
Last week, my son and I are detecting in a public park. Way in the back, I get a .50 signal. I dig my plug...target is not there. Now it says it is deeper. I dig down to about 7" and hit a steel plate. I find the edges and realize is is a round lid. I only uncovered a portion of it. It was dark and cold and I didn't bring a shovel, so I decide to leave it. Plus, I didn't want to disturb anything that was part of the city sewer system or something.
Well, curiosity got the best of us and we went back a couple days ago with a spade and uncover the whole lid. Further inspection showed it to be a very old 5 gallon steel bucket firmly packed in the earth. I pop the lid off, leaving the drum in the ground. Nothin' but dirt. I dig down a little more and find black asphalt about 2" from the top. I wasn't in the mood to dig out a whole 5gal bucket filled with asphalt, so we threw the lid away and covered it back up.

Okay...now curiosity is getting to me again. Who buries an upright bucket full of asphalt DEEP into the ground? Considering the location, it was obviously something that they didn't want others to find. At first, I thought it was buried just to get rid of the asphalt. But...that would take a lot of digging to bury something like that! Maybe it was buried during some construction (back fill), but it was sitting perfectly upright at least 50' from any building.

If there is something in the asphalt, it would think it would be perfectly preserved. What would you do...go back and dig it up again or leave it alone?

I think my curiosity would get the best of me and I would dig it.

I would also take more dirt out there with you and fill in the hole. Don't bury another bucket upside down. That is just leaving more trash in the ground.

I think my curiosity would get the best of me and I would dig it.

I would also take more dirt out there with you and fill in the hole. Don't bury another bucket upside down. That is just leaving more trash in the ground.

you're right, sorry, I wasn't thinking correctly

Okay...we went back over tonight and dug it up. Nothin' but broken up pieces of asphalt. No buried treasure. No weapons cache. No human heads. :/

However, we did some detecting and within 10 feet of that hole I found an old Japanese coin (of all things!). It is a Japanese WWII war era coin...1 Sen ...from the 1940's. Took some investigating to figure out what it was. Made out aluminum, too. I will take a picture and post it.

So, it wasn't a total waste of time.

Okay...we went back over tonight and dug it up. Nothin' but broken up pieces of asphalt. No buried treasure. No weapons cache. No human heads. :/

However, we did some detecting and within 10 feet of that hole I found an old Japanese coin (of all things!). It is a Japanese WWII war era coin...1 Sen ...from the 1940's. Took some investigating to figure out what it was. Made out aluminum, too. I will take a picture and post it.

So, it wasn't a total waste of time.

Awesome! Congrats on your find!

Back
Top Bottom