Azmodeus

Diggin In Illinois
Forum Supporter
bottles

Attachments

• IMAG0205.jpg
    IMAG0205.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 335
Nice assortment there, thanks for posting them!

This is literally not half of what i've found here and not even a fraction of whats in my ditch line. I don't do bottles and i dont know what they're worth. I like coins. I've read that some of the bottles could be worth a fortune...1890's bottles are EVERYWHERE on my property...so if anyone is close you're welcome to come probe for bottles here. On accident i located a double outhouse in my back yard. After reading into it i found alot of the awsome good bottles worth money are found in the old privvy holes. I started diggin it but man its alot of work. My land has has churches and schools on it since 1840's. I've dug seated libertys and barbers and many indians....if anyone wants to come dig up my yard for bottles feel free to come check it out. There's many more privvys here..this is just the one i found on accident.

umm....i could come down, camp on your land for about 15yrs (i'll leave wife and kids at home), and I'll split the profit with you!!!!!

seriously though..man that's a good hunk of land you have. I know guys on the bottle forums I go to that would go nuts

Is the tall bottle on the far left embossed at all? looks like an old beer or water.

check the bottom of the coke on the far right. It should have a city name. If it's in big semi-sloppy lettering, it's a good thing. If it's small writing with lines between the words...not such a good thing...
If you post the embossing on the rest of the bottles post a list and I can get values for you.
Like you said, some bottles are worth tons....

for example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1840-1845-R...768?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6835e2a0

I'd pick up any bottles you find as you go or if you decide to dig and haul them home. If you have bottles that old on your property, you're bound to have a ton of nice high worth bottles.

Digging a privy/outhouse can be a pain. If you have that many bottles on the ground/ditches etc..I'd pick them all up. You just never know when you're going to haul something very sweet. Even milk bottles. if embossed they can sell very well.

Can't wait to see what you find relics/coins/bottles...I'd never sleep if I owned your hunk of land....

umm....i could come down, camp on your land for about 15yrs (i'll leave wife and kids at home), and I'll split the profit with you!!!!!

seriously though..man that's a good hunk of land you have. I know guys on the bottle forums I go to that would go nuts

Is the tall bottle on the far left embossed at all? looks like an old beer or water.

check the bottom of the coke on the far right. It should have a city name. If it's in big semi-sloppy lettering, it's a good thing. If it's small writing with lines between the words...not such a good thing...
If you post the embossing on the rest of the bottles post a list and I can get values for you.
Like you said, some bottles are worth tons....

for example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1840-1845-R...768?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6835e2a0

I'd pick up any bottles you find as you go or if you decide to dig and haul them home. If you have bottles that old on your property, you're bound to have a ton of nice high worth bottles.

Digging a privy/outhouse can be a pain. If you have that many bottles on the ground/ditches etc..I'd pick them all up. You just never know when you're going to haul something very sweet. Even milk bottles. if embossed they can sell very well.

Can't wait to see what you find relics/coins/bottles...I'd never sleep if I owned your hunk of land....

That coke bottle was a surface find, it isnt as old..i guess 50s or 60s. All the rest of them were dug from my ditch line and are around the turn of the century. Alot of the good ones aren't in the picture since I gave them to my dad. I had some Lash's Bitters bottles and he dug one out of the ditch that was right around 1900 and had a nice embossing on it that said PABST. Not even a chip on it. Some of the ones in the pic are embossed but you cant see it well in the picture. One says Castoria, one says Frostilla, and I have one somewhere around the house that says Hire's Rootbeer I think and something about making rootbeer from home...The neighbors property is the same way. A month or two ago they hired some guys with dozers and tractors to level thier ditch line off so they can mow it (its a kinda steep hill) and he said they dozed up tons of bottles of all different colors. I think what it was is that our steep ditch line that runs through here used to be an old creek that changed directions over the years and there was a settlement here in the 1800s and they just threw all thier bottles in the creek I suppose.

just about the same bottles im finding right now pulling an embossed one here and there im finding them bout 3-4 ft in the ground on a bank...keep at them id like to see the embossed ones you found

sounds like you have a ton of bottles in that ditch line!

As far as the Coke, it's not about the age of it in this case. On the bottom, it should have a city and state embossed on it....That's what's going to determine the value. If it's a small town bottler that isn't working anymore , it's worth some cash... like this one I found at the inlaws farm that just happens to be the town I live in:

Lash's are really cool bottles. Can be worth some cash also..The old pabst bottles are nice. Especially the colored ones with a cap still..
The Frostilla and Castoria, depending on color, are valuable also. The Frostilla was a hand lotion..weird. I have a couple of the Hire's bottles. In the box with the directions still. They're pretty cool. Mine still have the syrup in them..ugh.

Some bottles I collect just to sell. Some bottles I collect because friends or I like them. But at heart, I just love exploring and hunting. My 11yr old daughter has the same passion...she's the one who sits with me for 6-8hrs digging through dirt with the MD or with the shovel...

Attachments

• patdironmtn.JPG
    patdironmtn.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 253
Hey Azmodeus..I sent you a PM. I was down there in the inland hurricane. Right after it I was walking the woods near Cdale and saw a lil teapcup sticking off root ball about 7 feet high in a turned up oak tree.

Well I looked under the roots and was blown away. I dug probaly 100 bottles outta there. I sold every single one in town except for 3. I kept the 3 that were selling for nearly 100 a piece on ebay.

I didnt even get NEAR getting all the bottles. A HUGE assortment of stuff. Lots of old businesses and what not. medical,nerve tonics, etc..

I dug most the easier stuff out. When I got deeper it was very hard to get them out without breaking. Also some kids showed up there and smashed a TON of the nice blue and purple bottles.

I gotta get down there for a couple days and we can go MDin and bottle hunting.

Oh yeah that reminds me!! Man I know where an actual OLD coke machine or cooler(metal box) is at in a creek down there. I mountain biked all over that county for 2 years. Its not far from the road. I saw on Pawn Stars where they refinish those old Coke machines and they are worth some $$$

Got a 4 wheeler? We would need it to get it out! It was buried in a sand bar. Heck it night be washed further down stream now. It was in great shape except for the obvious rusty parts.

Heres the teacup I mentioned. I saw this lil white thing glimmering on the root ball.

I looked all over for my 3 in 1 motor oil bottles...worth some cash..I found 3 at that site. They are tiny little blue bottles.

Heres a local dairy one I kept. Not worth much I bet. Maybe 4 bucks.

Attachments

• teacup.jpg
    teacup.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 233
  • dairy.jpg
    dairy.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 235
Hey Azmodeus..I sent you a PM. I was down there in the inland hurricane. Right after it I was walking the woods near Cdale and saw a lil teapcup sticking off root ball about 7 feet high in a turned up oak tree.

Well I looked under the roots and was blown away. I dug probaly 100 bottles outta there. I sold every single one in town except for 3. I kept the 3 that were selling for nearly 100 a piece on ebay.

I didnt even get NEAR getting all the bottles. A HUGE assortment of stuff. Lots of old businesses and what not. medical,nerve tonics, etc..

I dug most the easier stuff out. When I got deeper it was very hard to get them out without breaking. Also some kids showed up there and smashed a TON of the nice blue and purple bottles.

I gotta get down there for a couple days and we can go MDin and bottle hunting.

Oh yeah that reminds me!! Man I know where an actual OLD coke machine or cooler(metal box) is at in a creek down there. I mountain biked all over that county for 2 years. Its not far from the road. I saw on Pawn Stars where they refinish those old Coke machines and they are worth some $$$

Got a 4 wheeler? We would need it to get it out! It was buried in a sand bar. Heck it night be washed further down stream now. It was in great shape except for the obvious rusty parts.

No four wheeler but if it's in decent shape and can be restored I'd muscle it out! :lol: I don't get out around Carbondale much unless my wife is driving. I hate all those crazy one way streets and people driving like morons in that town. :roll:

You could clean that milk up, stick it on ebay starting at like, 12.99 and sell it for way more than that probably. Milks are huge right now. Especially milks with the city/state. There are some Ill bottles that went for over 300 and they were the same embossed style your's is, just diff cities. I saw one reference to a New Era bottle and that was from 2008...i'd be thinking it's pretty rare and would fetch good cash...

BTW...I'm sobbing over here seeing you two talk about bottles you've found and bottles just lying all over.....

You could clean that milk up, stick it on ebay starting at like, 12.99 and sell it for way more than that probably. Milks are huge right now. Especially milks with the city/state. There are some Ill bottles that went for over 300 and they were the same embossed style your's is, just diff cities. I saw one reference to a New Era bottle and that was from 2008...i'd be thinking it's pretty rare and would fetch good cash...

BTW...I'm sobbing over here seeing you two talk about bottles you've found and bottles just lying all over.....

:laughing: Yeah I can't even imagine how many are on my 3 acres that I havent found yet. The only area I've really probed is my ditch line and not even really with a proper probe. The glory holes would probably be all the 1800s privys around my yard if you took the time and effort to find them and dig down 15 feet. I was out scouting an area to detect today where an old church used to be that had a small patch of woods to the side of it. For the heck of it i poked around for a bit and found a nice 60's bottle layin right on top that says Choc-ola. Looked on ebay and it looks like they have sold for 5-10 bucks each. Not an oldie but hey its worth a few bucks and was just layin there...lol

I found an old creek with a sandy bottom in the woods across the street from my house and found these in it when it was dry... Don't know what coke bottles are worth what though. These probably aint old enough.

Attachments

• IMAG0210.jpg
    IMAG0210.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 212
I agree that the privy sites would be sweet. I have a few of the Choc-ola bottles. They're neat and do sell for enough to make it worth someones while to sell.

If the cokes have a city on the bottom in larger letters, can be worth money. Theyre called hobble skirt bottles.

what's the bottle on the far right? can't make out the embossing. if you find any mason jars or bottle caps in great shape, food jars (especially cathedral pickle/ketchup jars..some are worth hundreds), Pot lids(especially the old ornate ones that are china/glass) for cold creams and such.

Little ink bottles can be worth a ton also. Any of these types of bottles/collectibles can be worth anywhere from enough to buy a candybar, to "omg I just paid cash for a new truck". Plus it's fun to dig up history like that.

I like seeing/hearing about all your finds. Keep 'em coming!

You mean this? It's a weird style coke bottle. Dont know...might be a special christmas design from the 70s or something? Also I have dug most of everything you described out of my ditch but not intact. You'd prolly cry if you seen some of the awsome oldies i tossed. We dug so much glass out of the ditch in 1 day we filled one of them big city issued trashcans on wheels half full of nothin but glass. One was a humongous crock jug id say very early 1800s or earlier but the top was broke.

I agree that the privy sites would be sweet. I have a few of the Choc-ola bottles. They're neat and do sell for enough to make it worth someones while to sell.

If the cokes have a city on the bottom in larger letters, can be worth money. Theyre called hobble skirt bottles.

what's the bottle on the far right? can't make out the embossing. if you find any mason jars or bottle caps in great shape, food jars (especially cathedral pickle/ketchup jars..some are worth hundreds), Pot lids(especially the old ornate ones that are china/glass) for cold creams and such.

Little ink bottles can be worth a ton also. Any of these types of bottles/collectibles can be worth anywhere from enough to buy a candybar, to "omg I just paid cash for a new truck". Plus it's fun to dig up history like that.

Attachments

• IMAG0211.jpg
    IMAG0211.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 201
Dammit Azmodeus why couldnt of we crossed paths when I lived down there!!!

Its ok we are gonna do some serious bottle hunting when it warms up..

A farmer here 2 days ago told me about a site here where he was driving a bulldozer and heard a CRASH. He drove over a pile of old bottles. I havent went there yet but its like 1/2 mile from the house. He said plenty of em are intact.

I bet I will get tons from that spot.

ARGGGG!!!!!!! I sold all my ink bottles for next to nothing!!!

IMshooter I am dead serious...If you wanna come down and DIG some bottles come on down and stay. I got the farmhouse here with plenty of room. I know 2 spots that we would get bottles for sure...wont be looking wed be diggin..

those bottles are very nice....... ppl will buy those the cokes if in good shape and if its a hutchinson they will even buy in cracked shape:yes: also ppl like to collect dairy bottles... for example my husband found a milk bottle embossed with API dairy on it(which is alabama poly technic institute which was Auburn university much older name) sold for almost a hundred dollars to a collector... not bad for a few hours playing in the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom