Kicked off the beach

Roger B

Forum Supporter
So, I went to a beach that I have been detecting on for years and I start digging a target. A guy walking his dog starts talking with me and he looks past me and says here comes a cop (Ranger). the guy says to me, "he's probably going to give me a ticket for not having my dog on a leash."
The Ranger walks up and says, "no dogs allowed off leash" then he looks at me and says, "and there's no metal detecting allowed."
I was floored! I said, "are you freaking kidding me?" :furious: :furious: :furious:
I have been detecting this beach for years!" He pulls out a ticket book and says that he is supposed to give out tickets from now on because it is a state beach and no detecting will be allowed. I asked him how much the ticket was and he said it's so new it isn't even on the tickets yet.
So many people have run their dogs and metal detected on this (and the other) beach for ever!
I asked him if I could stay today since I was dropped off by my son and my wife is picking me up in about 3 hours.He said well I'm leaving in ten minutes, I just want to give you the "heads up." He said he understands but he's just enforcing the rules, but in the future he will ticket us. So I stayed until 7pm and now I need to figure out how to fight this.
Any advice? It was an employee of The Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) Massachusetts.
This includes so many beaches that I hunt (along with others) and has to be stopped!
This is not a State Park and the other beaches aren't either. It so stupid, last year there was a Sand Castle event on Revere Beach and one of the Sponsors was Minelab detectors. They had an event with kids and raffles, etc.
This falls under !!!! :cuss: :gaah:
Everyone in Massachusetts (and anywhere else) needs to be outraged, I know I am!!

What the heck does metal detecting on a beach hurt? I can't think of any environmental impact or other reason for dis-allowing MD'ing on the beach? Dog's running free, yes, I understand that, and I love dog's. But MD'ing ?

The only thing I can find from the DCR is this:

http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dcr/watersupply/watershed/quabbinaccessch4e.pdf

Looks to only be parks and watershed areas? Though the beaches fall under DCR it does not mention them specifically. Though they are designated as Reservations, Sounds fishy to me.

So, I went to a beach that I have been detecting on for years and I start digging a target. A guy walking his dog starts talking with me and he looks past me and says here comes a cop (Ranger). the guy says to me, "he's probably going to give me a ticket for not having my dog on a leash."
The Ranger walks up and says, "no dogs allowed off leash" then he looks at me and says, "and there's no metal detecting allowed."
I was floored! I said, "are you freaking kidding me?" :furious: :furious: :furious:
I have been detecting this beach for years!" He pulls out a ticket book and says that he is supposed to give out tickets from now on because it is a state beach and no detecting will be allowed. I asked him how much the ticket was and he said it's so new it isn't even on the tickets yet.
So many people have run their dogs and metal detected on this (and the other) beach for ever!
I asked him if I could stay today since I was dropped off by my son and my wife is picking me up in about 3 hours.He said well I'm leaving in ten minutes, I just want to give you the "heads up." He said he understands but he's just enforcing the rules, but in the future he will ticket us. So I stayed until 7pm and now I need to figure out how to fight this.
Any advice? It was an employee of The Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) Massachusetts.
This includes so many beaches that I hunt (along with others) and has to be stopped!
This is not a State Park and the other beaches aren't either. It so stupid, last year there was a Sand Castle event on Revere Beach and one of the Sponsors was Minelab detectors. They had an event with kids and raffles, etc.
This falls under !!!! :cuss: :gaah:
Everyone in Massachusetts (and anywhere else) needs to be outraged, I know I am!!

Roger...

That happened to me at the Cape this year... went to a state park beach to hunt that I had hunted for years and they said I could hunt in the water but not on the dry or wet sand...

Well there are a few parks here that you can't hunt the sand or the ground up to the waterline BUT you can hunt the water. I know people still do unfortunately. I always dive or wade so I don't really care about the ground. I have never had much luck on the dry sand anyway except a few coins.

Hope this can be worked out for you. Seems like someone should know why the new law is in place and maybe a way to have it reversed.

Good luck.

Well there are a few parks here that you can't hunt the sand or the ground up to the waterline BUT you can hunt the water. I know people still do unfortunately. I always dive or wade so I don't really care about the ground. I have never had much luck on the dry sand anyway except a few coins.

Hope this can be worked out for you. Seems like someone should know why the new law is in place and maybe a way to have it reversed.

Good luck.

I preferred the wet sand at the beach I was hunting because a lot of sharks were in the water there... I saw a couple guys diving there and they had bang sticks they told me they see quite a few White Sharks hunting there... when I first hunted at the beach I had a 8 footer cruise by me so I chose the wet sand :lol:

I swam with the sharks in Florida, never bothered me. Only black tipped sharks though not great white. I woudn't want to be in a black wetsuit around great white sharks thats for sure.

I guess you need some blind hunting buddies to detect with?

Ok that was terrible.

I would ask for the exact location where this "new rule" can be found. Ask the ticketer how he can cite you for a rule he can't find. If the rule IS written somewhere, you have a starting point to fight to change it.

I would ask for the exact location where this "new rule" can be found. Ask the ticketer how he can cite you for a rule he can't find. If the rule IS written somewhere, you have a starting point to fight to change it.

Good advice. A ticket has to specify the law that is being broken. It should be specific about code-section-paragraph etc. Once you know the exact law being broken, you can see what is defined.

As time goes on it seems more and more regulations get added to the books yet you rarely hear of them being taken off the books. Eventually every micro-second of your lives will be regulated and we won't be allowed to do anything besides work, pay taxes and sleep. I will be doing some research on this myself, educating myself about their 'rules' so I can defend myself when the time comes. In the meantime I will continue detecting like always until told otherwise. What exactly is a DCR officer? Do they carry a gun? Let's say one was going to give me a hard time and try and give me a ticket :laughing: for metal detecting. What would happen if I just walked away from him without giving my name, etc? Do they have the authority to arrest me? These are all things I'm sure I'll be learning in my research. I won't have time to research tonight though....I'll be too busy out there detecting.;)

P.s. We need a 'middle finger' smily.:D

Back
Top Bottom