Electrolysis question

New Kid

Yesterday I desieded I would give electrolysis a try on some of my clad so if I messed up I wouldn't be ruining anything of value. It did clean the coins but it made them have a copper tone I'm not sure why. Did I leave them in too long? Just completely new to this and have no idea. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Quoted from Wiki:

The current clad version is two layers of cupronickel (75% Copper, 25% Nickel) on a core of pure copper

Think of clad as one of those chocolate coins wrapped in foil.........

you're cooking-off the foil :D

So just use it on iron things ? Or on silver coins as well? And. I have read on the tumblers and would love to get one when the funds become available.

Electrolosis works very well on silver coins. I would never do it on a coin of real value or anything, but if I find a silver rosie, or a 64 washington quarter that is really corroded or that has hard junk caked onto it I use electrolosis once in a while. It makes silver coins look really nice. Again I wouldn't do it on any coins that have any greater value than just silver value alone. As far as how long to keep a coin in depends on how much electricity your cord is putting out...You could probably do a google search and find out how long for a cord with the same output as yours.

You can use it on coins, but as mentioned know if there's any value to them before doing anything with them.

Something "plated" isn't going to like electrolysis very well, and in a very generic/general sense, that's what clad is.

Find an old cruddy wheat penny or two to try it on.

Back
Top Bottom