new to electrolysis

Franz

Forum Supporter
Hunting has been pretty slow lately, so I've been picking through my finds. I set up a little dc adapter wall wart mason jar electrolysis unit and have been playing with it a bit. Works good so far. I've got some large pieces I want to clean/de-rust and was going to use a battery charger for them. Would electrolysis stop the corrosion caused after pulling them from their years of saltwater submersion? Would a rubbermaid container be safe (electrically insulated) enough? I was also wondering what the advantage of using stainless on the positive side is other than it's easier to clean. This sure is fun!
Thanks

Rubbermaid is ok, don't use stainless it makes some bad chemicals in the water, don't run it unattended, adapter might overheat. I would think after you removed enough layers of rust you might get to fresh metal that is not salt soaked. Better to coat it in oil or wax after to protect it

Thanks. I was just reading about using paraffin wax. I like that idea since if ever needed, it can be easily removed. I may use a 5gal bucket instead of the rubbermaid container. Got plenty of them and they seem a bit sturdier. Also gonna try lemon juice as the electrolyte since it is apparently the safest.

Stainless Steele in electrolysis is not as bad as some people say. I have been doing it for a year and am a member of the Griswold andWagner society with members who have been using it for years. Studies have been done and the amperage used in electro systems is not high enough to cause the reactions that some claim. You can Google Wags forum and find hundreds of people who have been doing this for years and know the ins and outs of electrolysis. I have a set up that sometimes runs around the clock for weeks at a time depending on how many pieces I am selling.

Back
Top Bottom