• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Finally...another big silver off the bucket list!

sandgroper

Elite Member
Today we had a nice 31ºC (88F), so I went down to the river do some crabbing with a few friends today. Thought I’d bring the CTX down for a bit of a wade whilst we wait for the crabs to go into the nets. First spot by river we didn't get anything in terms of crabs (didn't get any fish with the rods either). I covered a small area by the jetty and found a silver ring (second target) and a very worn penny (1962) and halfpenny (can't make a date out). Also taught of my friends how to use the CTX and lucky for him, his first target on the river bank was a 1927 penny :lol:

The water at this jetty was very shallow, so we moved to another one nearby that went out a bit further. After setting up the nets, I had a quick swing in the water closer to shore, and after 5 minutes I got a sweet 12:45/46 at 5cm. I took a scoop of the sand, and saw a large black disk in the mud. Thought to myself 'nice, another penny', but after giving it a wipe, the silver was coming through so I knew I had a big silver. After a few more wipes I could make out the design of a gothic florin! :shock: One of these old florins has been on my bucket list for ages, so I was super happy to find this! This florin is 1891 (therefore an old British one), and has a mintage of around 800 000. Haven't given it much of a proper clean, but it's in decent shape for being in the water for so long.

We did also catch a blue swimmer crab here, yet one crab wasn't nearly enough for eight of us! :laughing:

I've just been told it's not a gothic florin as I first thought, but a half crown! I'm still happy anyway, haven't found a crown either. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2701.jpg
    IMG_2701.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_2702.jpg
    IMG_2702.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_2703.jpg
    IMG_2703.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_2704.jpg
    IMG_2704.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_2706.jpg
    IMG_2706.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
Nice-looking details on an old piece of silver. Congratulations. And what kind of a signal did the crab give.:laughing:

That’s a beautiful find!! I’m jealous!!!

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

Awesome find! Mmmmm crabs lol congrats!

Thanks cellrdwellr! :)

Yea... That crab wouldn't make even an appetizer. Oh well. Great coin find, but keep working on those crabs. :laughing:

BCD .

Thank! Crab was great...if only we had more, maybe next time round ;)

SWEET silver coin!!!

Thank you! :grin:

Nice-looking details on an old piece of silver. Congratulations. And what kind of a signal did the crab give.:laughing:

:lol: Yes the coin is quite nice, thought it was a gothic florin at first but apparently not. Oh well, I'm happy either way!

Congrats on the big silver bucketlister, sterling ring and the rest...fine hunt!

Thanks mate! :)

That’s a beautiful find!! I’m jealous!!!

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

Thanks! So stoked when I saw what it was

Congrats, awesome save. Looks like you created another job for your self, rounding up a couple more crab!

Big Silver is always welcome. Congrats on your bucket lister, the Sterling Ring and all the rest. Wish your group better luck next time on the Crabs. Trapper

Congrats, awesome save. Looks like you created another job for your self, rounding up a couple more crab!

Thanks BT! Would be nice to catch a few more next time ;)

Any day you find a big silver over 100 years old is a good day.
Congratulations!

Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it was 1891! Thanks :)

Very cool find! A big silver is always a welcome sight! Congrats!

Thanks! Big silvers don't come up often, at least they don't for me.

Congrats on the silva!

Thank you! :grin:

Wow, awesome! Congrats!

Thanks Vermonster! :)

Big Silver is always welcome. Congrats on your bucket lister, the Sterling Ring and all the rest. Wish your group better luck next time on the Crabs. Trapper

Thanks! Might have to try another spot, or go in a few weeks when it's hopefully warmer! :)

Back
Top Bottom