• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

At home depot... Help me please

Mama2Twins

Forum Supporter
Im postin from HD now. I'm grabbing some knee pads. What do I need to buy for an electrolysis setup? I have all of the alligator clips. When I attach one clip to the item to be cleaned what can I buy to attach the other clip? Something that is safe not stainless steel... I guess some use rebar? Need specific item? Never done this before.... I don't want to use a car battery, what can I buy as a power source? Also do they sell any type of tumbling material? I have a vibrating tumbler I bought at a shooting range. Thanks so much for your help. Don't have wifi to do a lot of searching

You got it bad girl!

Im postin from HD now. I'm grabbing some knee pads. What do I need to buy for an electrolysis setup? I have all of the alligator clips. When I attach one clip to the item to be cleaned what can I buy to attach the other clip? Something that is safe not stainless steel... I guess some use rebar? Need specific item? Never done this before.... I don't want to use a car battery, what can I buy as a power source? Also do they sell any type of tumbling material? I have a vibrating tumbler I bought at a shooting range. Thanks so much for your help. Don't have wifi to do a lot of searching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8vT2mdXBs8

You are hooked girl!

boy...

Boy is she hooked!!! Hook, line and sinker!...
I prefer the 'Kaboom' method for general cleaning of clad..
just Kaboom house hold cleaner in my 'tumbler'.
A 4" PVC Cap, Adapter, & Plug with a little sand (clear aquarium gravel)
Good luck with your cleaning and mding!
Dusty Eagle

Boy is she hooked!!! Hook, line and sinker!...
I prefer the 'Kaboom' method for general cleaning of clad..
just Kaboom house hold cleaner in my 'tumbler'.
A 4" PVC Cap, Adapter, & Plug with a little sand (clear aquarium gravel)
Good luck with your cleaning and mding!
Dusty Eagle

Nice setup!

Power source- any old DC wall wart will fine. I use a 5vdc 500ma cell phone charger. Just keep tabs on the warmth of the charger. Warm to the touch- good to go. Hot to the touch- not good, unplug it and add lots of water to your solution. Been messin round with a setup myself. Two chargers just stopped working and one melted!

Wow, that is scary mooncalfmetal. I did use a cell phone charger but what do I use for the positive/red alligator clip. I attach the black alligator clip to the item I want to clean....but what should I use (type of metal/example) to attach the red alligator clip to? I heard stainless steel is bad so Id prefer not to use it. I know the setup for the electrolysis but people really don't mention what they are using for the red clip?? What metal item (safe) can I use for the positive clip that I might find laying around the house.... (i have a lot of tools, etc.) Thanks so much

Sorry for the repeat questions...

When I am doing searches for threads on topics, they are returning nothing. Something is wrong because I just saw a post on parrafin wax and searched all forums for wax and again it returned nothing. :mad:

When I am doing searches for threads on topics, they are returning nothing. Something is wrong because I just saw a post on parrafin wax and searched all forums for wax and again it returned nothing. :mad:

The search engine built into the VBulletin software is kind of lame (actually, it is worse than lame ;) ). Searching for words of few letters is futile.

Fortunately, you can use the power of the Google search engine. Google allows you to specify that your search results must come from a given website. For example, if you go to Google and type the query [ wax site:metaldetectingforum.com ] it will return pages about wax but only from the Friendly Forum.

Very helpful

The search engine built into the VBulletin software is kind of lame (actually, it is worse than lame ;) ). Searching for words of few letters is futile.

Fortunately, you can use the power of the Google search engine. Google allows you to specify that your search results must come from a given website. For example, if you go to Google and type the query [ wax site:metaldetectingforum.com ] it will return pages about wax but only from the Friendly Forum.

Thanks Rudy, that was very helpful. I do google after not finding anything here but never tried what you suggested. Thanks so much, that was extremely helpful. Also, now I did a search for electrolysis iron and it actually produced some results. :?:

"Something that is safe not stainless steel..."

Stainless steel gets a bad name in electrolysis. The low temps and amperage used in an electrolysis system do not generate enough heat to cause the ill affects of the stainless steel. In commercial applications, welding, grinding, etc stainless can cause problems. I know several people who have sent water samples from their electrolysis systems to environmental labs and there were no trace amounts of Hexavalent chromium. Think about all the stainless steel pots, pans, etc. that are used that reach higher temps and are safe.

Knee Pads and Gloves.

I have some thin (about 1/4 inch of padding) stretch over knee pads that probably came from Walgreens, I got them years ago to wear under my jeans to keep my knees warm because when riding in cold weather the wind hits my knees making them colder than the rest of me, causing them to ache. I recently got Gel knee Pads from Harbor Freight when I went to get the Cen Tech ($17) pointer. they were $6 I'm pretty sure but might have been as much as $8 since they are the gel pads. Now Gloves I had laying in my garage or in my saddlebags, Wal Mart or any sporting goods store sells several brands of Batting gloves they are very form fitting so I can easily work the small bubble button controls on my Xterra 705, they also have padding at prefect spots for holding Hand grips and now i have realized they pad for digging tools too. I keep surgical gloves in my saddlebags for wet rainy weather and wear them under the gloves. I also wear the wool liners from army gloves (but not under the batting gloves as they wouldn't fit) for this cooler weather detecting, I no longer even have the leather outer shells for them. the baseball batting gloves range from normal cost of $15 and up, mine average $20 a pair. Lowes and Home Depot, department stores, and any sporting goods stores, will sell all kind of decent colder weather gloves. I think you have to trade off and wear either tighter more form fitting thinner gloves to work buttons and controls, or wear heavier gloves to be warmer but having to take them off to push buttons and work controls. LOL I beat that subject to death eh...:digginahole:

I use a battery charger for a kids ride on toy like power wheels for my set up works great and does not tend to get as hot as the cell phone charger set up that I tried before.

Sorry Just another thought

If knee pads at Home Depot were to big??? You might try Wal Mart or any Dept store, look in the little kids bicycle section. They might have to have Bratz or Dora the exploror or some cartoon on them though...:digginahole:

I have some thin (about 1/4 inch of padding) stretch over knee pads that probably came from Walgreens, I got them years ago to wear under my jeans to keep my knees warm because when riding in cold weather the wind hits my knees making them colder than the rest of me, causing them to ache. I recently got Gel knee Pads from Harbor Freight when I went to get the Cen Tech ($17) pointer. they were $6 I'm pretty sure but might have been as much as $8 since they are the gel pads. Now Gloves I had laying in my garage or in my saddlebags, Wal Mart or any sporting goods store sells several brands of Batting gloves they are very form fitting so I can easily work the small bubble button controls on my Xterra 705, they also have padding at prefect spots for holding Hand grips and now i have realized they pad for digging tools too. I keep surgical gloves in my saddlebags for wet rainy weather and wear them under the gloves. I also wear the wool liners from army gloves (but not under the batting gloves as they wouldn't fit) for this cooler weather detecting, I no longer even have the leather outer shells for them. the baseball batting gloves range from normal cost of $15 and up, mine average $20 a pair. Lowes and Home Depot, department stores, and any sporting goods stores, will sell all kind of decent colder weather gloves. I think you have to trade off and wear either tighter more form fitting thinner gloves to work buttons and controls, or wear heavier gloves to be warmer but having to take them off to push buttons and work controls. LOL I beat that subject to death eh...:digginahole:

I will check out HF and see if the gels aren't too large for my knees. I agree with you about the gloves. The pair I just bought at HD are perfect. Warm enough but not bulky at all.

I use a battery charger for a kids ride on toy like power wheels for my set up works great and does not tend to get as hot as the cell phone charger set up that I tried before.

I was thinking about that. Perfect idea! I have some that I forgot to throw out with the last rideons we had. They drive new John Deere's. :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom