• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Scrim on a couple of small primer horns,....

aaronc

Forum Supporter
The Grinslade book was helpful for laying out my first ship. Still working on my eagles. These primers are tiny compared to bigger size horns. That presents its own challenges but was still fun. -Aaron

Attachments

• scrimshaw 2 primers 102resize.jpg
    scrimshaw 2 primers 102resize.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 92
  • scrimshaw 2 primers 107resize.jpg
    scrimshaw 2 primers 107resize.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 87
  • scrimshaw 2 primers 108resize.jpg
    scrimshaw 2 primers 108resize.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 93
  • scrimshaw 2 primers 109resize.jpg
    scrimshaw 2 primers 109resize.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 84
  • scrimshaw 2 primers 110resize.jpg
    scrimshaw 2 primers 110resize.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 85
.....some federal eagles,..

Attachments

• scrimshaw 2 primers 111resize.jpg
    scrimshaw 2 primers 111resize.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 84
  • scrimshaw 2 primers 112resize.jpg
    scrimshaw 2 primers 112resize.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 87
That's awesome work man! Seeing that honestly makes me interested in that type of work, doing some knife scales on a favorite knife would be a REALLY cool touch!

How freaking Great! Along this scrimshaw subject....While we were moving two weeks ago, I found a whale tooth that I had scrimmed back in the 60's!....I was just a little boy, maybe 5yrs old? My Dad brought me a whale tooth back from a Navy deployment, I thought it was the coolest thing ever!

I remembered taking a simple pin, and used it to do a scrim of a whaling ship and a whale...lt looks like a kid woulda done it, but I thought about your work when I found that tooth...Lemmee see if I can re-find it and give you a picture and a giggle! Its no damn good art, not like what you are doing...

That's awesome work man! Seeing that honestly makes me interested in that type of work, doing some knife scales on a favorite knife would be a REALLY cool touch!

Yeah man give it try,...not much overhead in it really. Find a tool you like,..get some india ink..I wipe off my excess with rubbing alcohol and paper towel. Only thing your really out is your time. Just make sure your surface is smooooth. Thanks for the comment. -Aaron

How freaking Great! Along this scrimshaw subject....While we were moving two weeks ago, I found a whale tooth that I had scrimmed back in the 60's!....I was just a little boy, maybe 5yrs old? My Dad brought me a whale tooth back from a Navy deployment, I thought it was the coolest thing ever!

I remembered taking a simple pin, and used it to do a scrim of a whaling ship and a whale...lt looks like a kid woulda done it, but I thought about your work when I found that tooth...Lemmee see if I can re-find it and give you a picture and a giggle! Its no damn good art, not like what you are doing...

Well Mud now you got me jealous. I'd give one of my own teeth to have a "Real" whale tooth. Those days are long gone...but what a treasure you have. Would love to see pics. Thanks for the comment,..-Aaron

Beautiful work.

Very nice work. Love the Federal eagles.
Bubbaron

Awesome pieces you are making!

Thank you gents for the comments.

bubbaron,...yeah the federal eagles are one of my favorite things found on the originals. They are on a lot of the original rifles of that period as well (which you probably know) as silver cheek piece inlays and other things. I enjoy looking at the different versions and lay outs of them,..just an all around great symbol. -Aaron

Back
Top Bottom