Atlantic Beach, NC

Aramisvi

For the last couple days of my vacation, I'll be heading to Atlantic Beach, NC...I've never md-ed in a beach setting before. All I have is an Ace 250 (no....I can't upgrade.)
What's your best advice from those that have hit this area before?

Stay in the dry sand. The wet salty sand may give you false signals, everywhere. But it seems I heard someone say they dropped sensitivity way down and it worked, but I believe you'll lose on depth. It doesn't hurt to try.

Get a sand scoop or lightweight shovel. Consider (and potentially practice) the idea that when you find something in sand, you simply remove the sand from the location and re-sweep the whole to see if it's still there. If the beep is still in the hole, you missed the target. If not, you pulled out out in the shovel. Then dump the shovel and spread it out with your foot.

It's VERY fast to recover targets this way in sand. Hold you detector in your swing hand, and your shovel in your other. Swing, beep, dig, test the hole, swipe the sand, swing beep, repeat.

A sand scoop is nice, but ultimately the swipe it with your foot method works just fine, too.

Fill in your holes, and DRAG your shovel if you want a ready made trail to see where you've been!

With the ACE250 you'll need to stay in the dry sand, but you can definitely discriminate out iron. catch the edge of bottle caps to hear the "grunt" assosciated with them to rule them out, or just dig it all. It's fast enough it really doesn't pay to check objects from many angles, and try to determine what it is first. Just hit the beep, scoop it out, swipe your foot, find the object, use your foot to scoop the sand back in and keep on truckin!

Cheers!

Skippy

I've used the Ace250 in dry sand pretty well. Anytime I got near the wet I had to lower sensitivity so low that I didnt think it was worth it.

Skippy did a great job explaining the recovery tactics. :yes:

Great posts - everything is covered - I'd bring some sunscreen....

These type of scoops are great...IF you don't mind bending over.....

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1,448
Go all metal if you can, no discrimination, and just dig it. I need to keep telling myself that at the beach with my Compadre....

Next question....
What time of day would be best for 1. Avoiding people, and 2. Optimal finds yield?

I live in a beach town and I've found the best time to go is around 4 in the afternoon when everyone is starting to leave.... If you go in the morning there is a 12-14 hour gap from when people left to when you got there......your competition might have beat you to the gold.........

FYI - don't worry about avoiding the people - just concentrate on the finds.

Go all metal if you can, no discrimination, and just dig it. I need to keep telling myself that at the beach with my Compadre....

I just got back from my first beach hunt ever down in Myrtle Beach. I brought my Compadre along since I didn't want to be tempted to hunt near the water with my Vaquero. I ran it in all metal and dug everything because it's easy to dig everything on the beach. I didn't see another detectorist anywhere the whole time I was there. I thought for sure I would find all sorts of goodies! You'll quickly learn, if you decide to hunt in all metal and dig everything, that Corona is the beer of choice for most people at the beach. The chair line was easy to find as well. Just follow the trail of paper clips you keep digging! Saved me a trip to OfficeMax... I also found just enough clad to get a soda from the vending machine near my room too! Oh. And a matchbox car to keep me entertained in my room.

It was still fun though. Sure beats work! Good luck to you!

I just got back from my first beach hunt ever down in Myrtle Beach. I brought my Compadre along since I didn't want to be tempted to hunt near the water with my Vaquero. I ran it in all metal and dug everything because it's easy to dig everything on the beach. I didn't see another detectorist anywhere the whole time I was there. I thought for sure I would find all sorts of goodies! You'll quickly learn, if you decide to hunt in all metal and dig everything, that Corona is the beer of choice for most people at the beach. The chair line was easy to find as well. Just follow the trail of paper clips you keep digging! Saved me a trip to OfficeMax... I also found just enough clad to get a soda from the vending machine near my room too! Oh. And a matchbox car to keep me entertained in my room.

It was still fun though. Sure beats work! Good luck to you!

Those Corona caps sound good even with the disc set at the "r" in iron, they can double tone though but I still pick them up. I'd rather dig them than miss a deep corroded coin. Glad you had fun and nabbed a matchbox to play with :lol:

I don't salt water beach hunt a ton, but with the Compadre I'm going to keep the disc off. Maybe even at the freshwater beaches too.

Those Corona caps sound good even with the disc set at the "r" in iron, they can double tone though but I still pick them up. I'd rather dig them than miss a deep corroded coin. Glad you had fun and nabbed a matchbox to play with :lol:

I don't salt water beach hunt a ton, but with the Compadre I'm going to keep the disc off. Maybe even at the freshwater beaches too.

Yeah digging it all at the beach is no biggie to me. I'll gladly dig hundreds of bottle caps in the easy sand to hopefully snag some stuff with value. I'm not sure how well the Ace 250 hits on small stuff, but the Compadre was hitting on really small pieces of metal (like staples and the sharp parts of thumbtacks) a good 6-7" down in the dry sand with the disc off. I plan on hitting a freshwater beach soon and will also be running with the disc off.

Back
Top Bottom