Eurotek Pro Pinpoint Function Problem(Ask seller if buying used)

pine3874

Elite Member
My Eurotek Pro nulled quite a bit when using the pinpoint button and I had to release the button and try again sometimes more than once while it tried to retune. It wasn't really that much of a problem because it is really easy to pinpoint without the pinpointer, but it is annoying when trying to check a deeper target and when you have a new detector, you want it to perform correctly.

Didn't want to send it to Fisher because I didn't have a backup so I bought a used one for backup. When I got the used ETP the pinpointer function on it worked perfectly, so I went ahead and sent the new one with 5yr warranty to Fisher for repair. When I got it back from Fisher it worked perfectly. They replaced the pinpointer membrane switch.

In the meantime, I have heard of other people having this problem and wanted to let you know what the cause is.

My Eurotek Pro nulled quite a bit when using the pinpoint button and I had to release the button and try again sometimes more than once while it tried to retune. It wasn't really that much of a problem because it is really easy to pinpoint without the pinpointer, but it is annoying when trying to check a deeper target and when you have a new detector, you want it to perform correctly.

Didn't want to send it to Fisher because I didn't have a backup so I bought a used one for backup. When I got the used ETP the pinpointer function on it worked perfectly, so I went ahead and sent the new one with 5yr warranty to Fisher for repair. When I got it back from Fisher it worked perfectly. They replaced the pinpointer membrane switch.

In the meantime, I have heard of other people having this problem and wanted to let you know what the cause is.

i bought a new one and it does that already,so much i quit using the pinpointer and since i'm new to detecting i dont have a back up

Made in the USA but Chinese quality :shock:.......

Leaky 11"DD's last time around, now faulty touchpads...... perhaps FT should be getting China to make their stuff - Appears to be bugga all difference in quality these days

Not saying that you didn't have a problem but I never had a problem with 2 EuroTek Pro's the wife & I has last summer and haven't had any complaints with any of the ones that I have sold. They have a real fast recovery/retune which makes pinpointing touchy until you get use to it. I find that moving your coil about 4 inches or so away from the target then push and hold the pinpoint button while slowly moving the coil towards and over the target. The closer you keep the coil to the ground while pinpointing the better.

Not saying that you didn't have a problem but I never had a problem with 2 EuroTek Pro's the wife & I has last summer and haven't had any complaints with any of the ones that I have sold. They have a real fast recovery/retune which makes pinpointing touchy until you get use to it. I find that moving your coil about 4 inches or so away from the target then push and hold the pinpoint button while slowly moving the coil towards and over the target. The closer you keep the coil to the ground while pinpointing the better.

Like I said in my post, I had 2 ETP's. In one of them the pinpointer worked like it was designed to work and in the other one it didn't. When I got it back from Fisher after they replaced the membrane switch, it worked like it should. If it is working correctly, then pinpointing is not touchy at all. Maybe both of yours were not working properly if the pinpointing was touchy?

Like I said in my post, I had 2 ETP's. In one of them the pinpointer worked like it was designed to work and in the other one it didn't. When I got it back from Fisher after they replaced the membrane switch, it worked like it should. If it is working correctly, then pinpointing is not touchy at all. Maybe both of yours were not working properly if the pinpointing was touchy?
Mine worked great, I was just making a point that the ETP has a fast retune.

Hi !

Got my ETP two weeks ago.

Had Goldbug coils, so I bought 8" version.

I noticed that, using the 8" coil, the pinpoint function is something like 4 to 5" off target. Yes, when I get the lowest depth indication AND the stronger audio, the target is often under the coil's edge or one ich ahead.

This is strange, because it works well with either the 5"DD or 11" DD coils.

Only a minor annoyance to me : I won't be using the 8" coil much, and the PP function is hardly needed when using it. But still, it isn't as it should be.

HH

Nick

That is why i wont buy another FT product. Had 5 detectors from them 4 had build quality issues. So 80% of the detectors i bought had problems. Used about every brand of detector and no other company could be that bad if they tried.

I am sceptible about anything sold by First Texas these days ......

Honestly, I think you shouldn't.

These things do happen : look at Toyota, calling thousands of cars back to fix a potential problem. They're not the sole cars manufacturer to do that.

I use 4 FTP units on very regular basis (about 90% of my outings), from an old Taiwan-made 1212x to the new ETP.

Although I had a more annoying problem with my GoldBug pro, (and the warranty claim was denied), I enjoy these units very much. I think my ETP problem is a bad coil.

Again, this happens. I remember myself not buying an AT PRO because of several problems with the first units on the market.

FTP offers excellent -and surely very innovative- products.

One should be wrong not to try one of them at least.

HH

Nick

I had to send in my ETP for the same reason. The just sent me a brand new unit after approx 10 days. The new one works perfrect !

Resurrecting this old thread....anyone having issues with the PP on the ETPs lately or does it seem like this issue has been fixed?

I had to send one back for a new pinpoint switch. That was about 2 months ago

Having the same pinpoint problem with my 1 week old ETP. Depending the switch manufacture the membrane is the week point.

I am surprised this problem has never been cured in three years of production. I wish I had read this forum before purchasing my Eurotek Pro in March of 2017 as it too has this pinpoint problem.

I have an engineering background and fixed mine without returning it for repair. The problem is easily fixed by adding a capacitor on the pinpoint button. IMO,the problem is not a faulty membrane switch, but engineering flaw that does not properly address "key bounce" common to this type of button. I will post a new thread soon describing the DIY fix.

I am surprised this problem has never been cured in three years of production. I wish I had read this forum before purchasing my Eurotek Pro in March of 2017 as it too has this pinpoint problem.

I have an engineering background and fixed mine without returning it for repair. The problem is easily fixed by adding a capacitor on the pinpoint button. IMO,the problem is not a faulty membrane switch, but engineering flaw that does not properly address "key bounce" common to this type of button. I will post a new thread soon describing the DIY fix.

you would think that they (FT) would have sorted this out on their production line a whole lot sooner ......... unless of course they are manufactured in bulk & stored until they need a second run - I hope the new Minuteman has this factory fault rectified - Its one hell of a long way to ship items back when you are halfway around the world -

Less than .5% have been sent back for repair...for ANY issue...PP included.

So 99.5% are working as they should.

Not sure of any manufacturer on the planet who would recall or "fix" % numbers like that.

It's not like this is some MX Sport firmware issue or and AT Pro leaking issue where it went into the double digits on percentage. :laughing:

It sucks for the guys it happens to...FOR SURE. However, when it's the same guys posting about it on 3 different forums...it does not make it an issue that is 3X worse.

I'm not saying anything bad about those guys...they should post it and they should be upset. However - when it gets into the "Teknetics sucks" type stuff over a .5% issue....seems like there is an agenda at play with the SAME posters over and over. Just an observation.

2X LRP...2X ETP...1X Liberator...1X Minuteman. Never an issue. I must be lucky along with the other 99.5% of the users. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom