MXT at the beach

I don't own one, but I've been doing a lot of research recently hoping to upgrade, so I can probably help.

Short answer- Yes (with some caveats)

Dry sand-- should be just fine, operate as normal
Wet sand-- expect to lose some depth

I read that it has a "Salt" setting that's designed help with some of the typical problems created by wet salty beaches (falsing, mineralization, reduced depth). Can't speak for how effective that setting is, but the machine does have good ratings and I read several positive reviews of people who use it at the beach.

It is NOT designed for diving, so be extra careful not to dip that control box in a wave or bye-bye MXT.

I've used mine many times at the beach. Use the salt setting. You should be ok in the dry sand. The wet sand may make it chatter. Stay out of the water....:D

hello DJ,

the MXT is a great detector... but not a great one for the beach. as many have said...the dry sand will be ok... but remember... you put it down a lot and sand can get in and then there is constant salt spray from the ocean...that will get in there as well and over time will make for problems...

but if you just want to work the areas where people have been sitting... should be ok and ziptie a plastic bag or work something out to keep the elements out of your control box.

but as anyone that works the beach... the goods are in the water or along the water line in low spots and rips. people lose rings 90% of the time in the water due to fingers shrinking in the colder water... and then along the water line when they get out and shake their hands... back at the towel..not so much...thats where i find the lost change.

i do work the sunning areas early in the morning on my way to the water... and yes... sometimes i do find things...but i dont linger there and its just on my path from my Jeep to the Water...the path other people take to and from the beach...

good digs

I own a Whites MXT and am wondering if it is any good for beach hunting?

I've used my MXT on the beach many times. Works great in the dry sand, but chatters quite a bit in the wet sand. Take that into account when setting up your search pattern as going from dry to wet during the swing will cause the MXT to start tracking to the new ground and cause extra chatter. It would be best to lock the ground to keep it from tracking all the time when moving f wet to dry & back.

Also, since it is not made for wet areas, I got one of those turkey basting plastic bags and put the box and LCD display inside and tied it down witha rubber band.

Also, look inside the tube the control box is bolted to, and see if there is a silicon blob closing up the tube, if not, put a dollop of silicone sealant in there. Here is why, if you are using the MXT in the shallows, some water will get in the lower shaft. If you then raise the coil for some reason, the water will run inside the shaft and if it gets to where the wiring from the control box to the LCD display is, the water will get inside the control box.

I don't know what you all are talking about. I own an MXT All Pro and use it on the beach all the time with great results. Oregon beaches are notoriously mineralized with black sand, so much so that you can see it running in streaks down the beach. Yes, the MXT will do very well in dry sand, but it will also do excellent in the wet sand. One trick I've learned to help with depth loss in the black sand is to ground balance the machine directly over a streak of black sand. This seems to get you more depth and more stability overall. I've found silver coins down to 10" in heavily mineralized wet sand using this method. Don't let anyone tell you the MXT isn't good on the beach! One more hint.....don't use a coil cover on the beach, as water and black sand will get in between the cover & the loop and cause you all sorts of false signals. Always have fresh batteries too.

Back
Top Bottom