AT Pro freak out?

generic

Very new to detecting, and I have an AT Pro.

I live on an island so I've been to the beach a few times, in the shallow water once (last weekend)

Went out today along the beach, the coil got wet but I didn't go in the sea.. Was working fine.

Packed up, drove to another beach, got out, and it's just freaking out terribly...

Couldn't detect with it, wouldn't ground balance, nothing. Checked if anything was loose, didn't notice anything.

Came home, rinsed off, wiped down, checked connections again... It's now sitting with everything open in front the fan in case some splash got inside somewhere.

I tried changing the frequency, didn't work. Batteries are full.

It took a lot to get this thing into the island, and I'd hate to think that after a month or two it's faulty because sending it back is going to cost a fortune.

Anyone have suggestions??

Not clear , are you in salt or freash water. . The Garrett coil is water proof , start with the reset , then GB for a start . ,,,,,HH

One of my Garrett detectors (Not A Pro) wouldn't do anything so I did a hard reset by holding the power button down until it beeped twice. It worked fine after that,

Salt water i assume?

Do you have a coil cover on it?

Yup salt water, I don't have a cover. I noticed some scratches developing from on-land use, would that cause such a problem?!

Tried reset, same issue.

I usually use it full sensitivity but that is totally unusable now, GB gives a weird noise and never really goes quiet. If I turn the sensitivity down to one bar, the bouncing goes away... there must be some water in something but I can't figure out where, and it was working fine earlier....

OK...take out the batts and do a swap out with fresh ones...Wiggle-Push- Tighten coil cable....gently...You gotta Wiggle-Push-Tighten.....OK then..after this....with fresh batts installed, do a Factory reset once again away from any kind of EMI devices that you can imagine...

This happened once to me, the AtPro just went into 'Spaz Mode' like you experienced..... I thought I had a bum rig...but I did these simple things and have had NO trouble for the past 3yrs...

Of course you gotta be running Pro Zero and at least 3 clicks down from full sense to hunt the wet salt sand...no trouble there either, It will be OK once we get this solved.....lets get your gear stabilized first and deal with that later...

That happens to me when there is electromagnetic interference (EMI). Try the resetting and also a different frequency by holding the pinpoint button and moving the sensitivity up or down. That may help.

OK...take out the batts and do a swap out with fresh ones...Wiggle-Push- Tighten coil cable....gently...You gotta Wiggle-Push-Tighten.....OK then..after this....with fresh batts installed, do a Factory reset once again away from any kind of EMI devices that you can imagine...

This happened once to me, the AtPro just went into 'Spaz Mode' like you experienced..... I thought I had a bum rig...but I did these simple things and have had NO trouble for the past 3yrs...

Of course you gotta be running Pro Zero and at least 3 clicks down from full sense to hunt the wet salt sand...no trouble there either, It will be OK once we get this solved.....lets get your gear stabilized first and deal with that later...

Yeap, did that. Still freaking out.

I also tried the resetting and frequency change. Nada.

I'm going to email the site I got it from and let them know what's going on.. it should be under warranty (hopefully) and I'll see if I need to send the box/coil back up to them.

This sucks :(

I just ordered a water scoop yesterday, but no detector lol

Try unplugging the coil from the control box & turn it on,
at least that way you'll know if it's the coil or something inside
the control box causing the issue..

try another coil.

turn on with out coil hooked up. If it still spazes, you may have found a leak in one of the 3 compartments. Would say this is a coil issue.

Sounds like your coil leaked some salt water in. This happened to me with my last detector. I took the coil apart an rinsed it and put it back together after it completely dried out. I sealed it with silicon to stop the leak.

Ah, good idea!

It doesn't spaz out when the coil is unplugged. It's not freaking out today as much as yesterday but it's definitely not working properly, I suppose the water that might be in the coil may have dripped out / dried a bit. It's reading a quarter in the - 10-20 range and bouncing around a lot, so there's interference, the salt water..

Good to know that it's probably the coil.

I'm not sure if I should try opening the coil though, but would the Garrett warranty cover something like that??

warrany.......

Absolutely.....garrett will warrany that issue....(provided you bought it new OR it could even be used and have a continued warranty)........the AT Pro....is sold as a 100% water proof detector..(up to ten feet in water depth)
That is one of the BIGGEST reasons i bought one......waterproof...
I have been fortunate enough to ...not ...have any problems with my unit.

I'm sorry your having troubles and i hope you get it taken care of...
Also.....i do know that i have read. Probably at least 50. Posts here and elsewhere...where garrett
Has been awesome with taking care of their ATP owners.....
So ...if worse comes to worse...give Garrett a call...they will help you fix your problem.
I know having a problem like yours is disheartening....but hang in there.....
HH......and best of luck..

coil

I would suggest.....not ....opening the coil.....so that garrett can fix it and you wouldn't want to do something that would void the warranty.......just my thoughts though
I'm. Not an expert but it does sound like you may be on the right track with some water entering your coil.....try to get some really bright light on the coil and look really close at the.entire coil and.see if you can find any small crack? Or pin hole? Where some water may have got in your coil assembly....good luck

Back
Top Bottom