Found this odd piece. It has a twisted end. Its around 10 inches long. Thanks

Attachments

• 20171207_080245.jpg
    20171207_080245.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 423
  • 20171207_080321.jpg
    20171207_080321.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 402
That'd be one heavy duty tent stake. Can you imagine carrying a half dozen or so of those?
Looks like a piton but too heavy for that. I'd guess something to anchor into rocks for a quarry. Could also be something they'd drive into a log for hauling out.

That'd be one heavy duty tent stake. Can you imagine carrying a half dozen or so of those?
Looks like a piton but too heavy for that. I'd guess something to anchor into rocks for a quarry. Could also be something they'd drive into a log for hauling out.
I'm thinking more along the lines of a circus tent size made to drive into some hard ground.

Cliff

With that twist the rock anchor makes sense in my head

I'm guessing whatever it originally was had some sort of scissoring action. The other part is missing and yours might be broken and missing a piece or pieces.

You can clearly see that the large end was beaten. That excludes a scissor type device. A balance beam would be "balanced" length wise about the pivot point. Even if it was a type of ratio balance beam, taking advantage of the length differences, it'd be longer in general. If the ground I was camping on needed a tent stake like that, I'd find softer ground. I hate sleeping on a concrete slab.
It's some kind of attachment for rock. I've seen one similar driven into a large rock in the middle of a creek. The site of an 1800's ford. I'm sure many of us have seen similar types of anchors in canal walls, stone bridge abutments etc.

Back
Top Bottom