50 Centavos...huh?

rogue

Elite Member
Was with hunting buddy Chris and found this. I found 50 Centavos coins before but not like this. Looks aluminum and no markings. Says 1945 for date. Can't find this on the web either. Anyone know where this come from? Thanks all HH

Attachments

• 50 cent 2.jpg
    50 cent 2.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 189
  • 50cent 1.jpg
    50cent 1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 190
Looks like it's laser cut, but that would be really hard with an item like a coin. Be interested to see what the exact metal is. Cool find!

Nice find. That is a silver coin from Mexico. Doesn't look laser cut at all. Looks to be hand cut and pretty neat piece.

Congrats,

Greg

Nice find. That is a silver coin from Mexico. Doesn't look laser cut at all. Looks to be hand cut and pretty neat piece.

Congrats,

Greg

Well put me in my place why don't ya....... :lol:

He!! of a lot more detailed than I could do, so that's why I was leaning that direction.... ;)

Wow!! :shock: Looking at your carved coin brought back memories of my carved mexican peso I found one and a half years ago.

Congrats on a unique find for sure!! :thumbsup:

Here's mine:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 165
Wow!! :shock: Looking at your carved coin brought back memories of my carved mexican peso I found one and a half years ago.

Congrats on a unique find for sure!! :thumbsup:

Here's mine:

WOW! those are nice Pix Raphis, never seen this art work before. Very unique for sure. any idea who does this? And How! ty for the pictures...

Very cool find! I used to watch these guys at wine festivals, using a little coping saw to cut coins. I have a old German mark coin with the obverse eagle cut out, or what was around it cut out.

Very neat, would love to find one!

WOW! those are nice Pix Raphis, never seen this art work before. Very unique for sure. any idea who does this? And How! ty for the pictures...
I don't know specifically, but it seems it is a dying art. There are very few, if any, examples of carved silver coins like yours and mine. I thing Groundsweeper and GStout are correct about a coping saw being used for cutting, but there's gotta be a set of other "carving" tools used as well.

Pretty cool Dom! Here I thought it was Aluminum or some type of alloy. Silver Score and cool art to boot!

I have found three American coins cut out. A standing liberty quarter, a buffalo and a Merc dime. I think it is a lost art also. Nice piece.

I gave them away to be auctioned off on this site with the other two sterling items.

It is cut out with a jeweler's saw, not really all that hard to do if you have practice with one. The practice is called "piercing" and one will likely to be able to do it after taking a "jewelry 101" class. I have cut a bunch of merc dimes myself. The Madonna is a cast piece that has been soldered on, there is no "carving" involved here. These things are very cool to find although they have little monetary value over the metal's worth.

Back
Top Bottom