Help with old coin

ksdiver

Found this coin today in some woods near a field.
I can see a slight outline of a head, but can't make out a date.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• coin_179.jpg
    coin_179.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 496
I am pretty sure it is a George II British halfpenny. I am not sure of the exact dates, but they were made from approximately 1730's to 1750's.

Jeff R,
Pennsylvania (Chester County) - it was about 5 inches deep.

l.cutler,
Thanks for the info! A friend of mine said it might be British George II.

Attached is another pic for comparison...

Attachments

• coin_180.jpg
    coin_180.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 465
I would agree.
If you look at the arch in blue in this pic I would say that is it.
And the distance between the bust and the edge seems similar also.

I have 4, the one pictured is a 1746
You have a great spot there. Keep at it!!!!!!

Attachments

• george.jpg
    george.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 471
Gentlemen,
Thank you for your input! :D

I also noticed the arch at the base of the neck and although you can't see it in the pics I attached, I can make out the "X" just to the lower right.
The back side is almost totally illegible - but I can see a number "7" near the bottom.
Not sure about the hole - a friend of mine said the Indians used to drill holes in coins and wear them as charms/jewelry.

If it is a George II British halfpenny, it's in the worst condition I've ever seen. The English used really good copper
and none that we have ever found in the ground or even in the riverbank are as bad as this.

I would say it is a counterfeit. The thinness and the uneven edges are a giveaway.

But that doesn't make it valueless, it makes it unique.

Hummm
Very good point Carol. Us colonist were notorious for making our own. Especialy those 1/2 pennys. One of mine is probably a counterfit, because it is out-of-round.
ksdiver, Carol has an excellent point there. And value??? Well when I found my first one I nearly dropped dead. But came around quick when I found what it's worth. 10 bucks or less :o(
Oh well. Nice find anyhow!

See if you can make a light pencil rub of both sides. It may bring out some features that can't be seen by eye alone.

Well, I live in Pennsylvania too, and almost all of them I have seen come out of the ground look like that. We must have some nasty soil or acid rain or something. Most of the counterfeits are of the George III variety, but there are some George II, but in that condition there is no way to tell.

Interesting, I never considered the coin would be a counterfeit. It is in very poor shape - the soil around this area is really hard on coins.
I've been told that the fertilizer farmers use in the fields will really cause them to degrade.

Thanks again for all the input!

WThesing,
I live in Motgomery County, but do most of my detecting where I grew up in Chester County - where do you reside in the south east?

Diver, it does look like a George II (1727-1760) copper halfpenny. If so the diameter should be 28-30mm. Two head designs were used in, the first by Croker and the latter by Tanner. This head looks like a Tanner version which was used between 1740 and 1754.
Fertilizer will cause the damage especially if the soil is acid.
For anyone who has similar coins the shoulder decoration gives the clue. With the early coin it curves SLIGHTLY down. The later arches upwards.

Thank you Brian,
Shame this coin is in such bad shape. I hope to return to the location soon and look for more. Maybe I'll get lucky and find another that is in better condition.

Back
Top Bottom