• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

A block from home

Foragist

Forum Supporter
So a couple weeks ago I asked for and received permission to hunt a small residential yard about a block from home, as I knew they were preparing to sell the place. I waited until a few days ago, after we had some rain. I went over most of it quickly one day, then returned for a more thorough search. Most common finds were small snippets of aluminum siding/trim. I did manage a few decent keepers! Not shown were the 13 other not-so-pretty wheats, and around a buck in modern coins. Not a lot of hunts lately, so this was a real joy! My first counter-stamped token. It's a whole dollar value, but I don't know what G. H. & H. was. The Shriners key fob is pretty cool. Says ZA-GA-ZIG TEMPLE, and I think and old phone number (3 digits) on the back.

Attachments

• DSCN2866.jpg
    DSCN2866.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 602
  • DSCN2870.jpg
    DSCN2870.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 614
  • DSCN2867.jpg
    DSCN2867.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 588
  • DSCN2875.jpg
    DSCN2875.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 576
Counterstamped token is extra cool, plus a full dollar amount was serious buying power.
Za-Ga-Zig Shrine is still operating ... may not be able to return that fob to owner, but I bet the group themselves would be excited to have it back. If you do a return mount it on a red background, as that is their primary color. https://www.zagazigshrine.org/

Awesome group of finds,all worthy keepers for sure. Congrats
Thank you. My dirt finds collection just got a little better with these added.

Good assortment of pickins...congrats!
Thanks. Always enjoy a good mixed bag!

That token is very cool as are the rest of the finds! Congrats!
Thanks. Yeah, I really like the token too. It's a little bigger than a US half dollar! No marbles, though...;)

Counterstamped token is extra cool, plus a full dollar amount was serious buying power.
Za-Ga-Zig Shrine is still operating ... may not be able to return that fob to owner, but I bet the group themselves would be excited to have it back. If you do a return mount it on a red background, as that is their primary color. https://www.zagazigshrine.org/
Thank you. I imagine the $1.00 token was their biggest "gift certificate" available, and would have presented some fine options for the token's carrier...or maybe it was for a feed store, or law firm, or something.
So far, the only thing I found about Alpha Floral Company of Des Moines,(no longer a current business) was they were mentioned in annual publications in 1918 and 1920, as was a "Wilson Floral Co". I wonder if there was a relation to the Wilson this fob belonged to. I know the Shriners still have the ZAGAZIG thing going, but I doubt they would be all that thrilled to have this corroded old metal tag.

Nice hunting. It's a great example of why I greatly prefer residential yards over parks. It just takes a bit more planning and charisma. You can't just up and go detect whenever you feel like it, unless you have a few larger properties with generous owners willing to give open permission. I'd like to get onto more farm fields, however.

Thank you. My dirt finds collection just got a little better with these added.

Thank you. I imagine the $1.00 token was their biggest "gift certificate" available, and would have presented some fine options for the token's carrier...or maybe it was for a feed store, or law firm, or something.
So far, the only thing I found about Alpha Floral Company of Des Moines,(no longer a current business) was they were mentioned in annual publications in 1918 and 1920, as was a "Wilson Floral Co". I wonder if there was a relation to the Wilson this fob belonged to. I know the Shriners still have the ZAGAZIG thing going, but I doubt they would be all that thrilled to have this corroded old metal tag.

Not a Shriner, but I am a Mason and we always love getting back a tie to our past. For some that is items from the 1960's ... my own lodge once received an apron from the 1740's ... from France. I have returned dog tags from WW2, a bank bag metal ID strip from pre-National bank days (before 28) and an Elks tag from 1915 ... all were insignificant but much appreciated

Nice hunting there Foragist. Congrats on the shiny and other goodies. Looks to be a great bunch of finds. Good luck, Mark

Nice hunting. It's a great example of why I greatly prefer residential yards over parks. It just takes a bit more planning and charisma. You can't just up and go detect whenever you feel like it, unless you have a few larger properties with generous owners willing to give open permission. I'd like to get onto more farm fields, however.

Yep. I walk my dog through the neighborhood, and get to know folks. I've lived in this town for about 2 1/2 years, so I'm not well known, but slowly spreading my "charisma"! :yes: They probably see me staring at their lawns a lot. :lol: I've gotten permission and hunted several; lots more to go!

Not a Shriner, but I am a Mason and we always love getting back a tie to our past. For some that is items from the 1960's ... my own lodge once received an apron from the 1740's ... from France. I have returned dog tags from WW2, a bank bag metal ID strip from pre-National bank days (before 28) and an Elks tag from 1915 ... all were insignificant but much appreciated

Well, you make a good case. That red felt idea is sounding pretty good!

Wow, great hunt!

Got to love that token! wow!

Nice selection of finds......

I like the green IH and green wheatie .

Very nice group of finds! I especially like the token and fob, anything masonic or shriners is still on my bucket list, Congrats on a nice hunt!

Nice hunting there Foragist. Congrats on the shiny and other goodies. Looks to be a great bunch of finds. Good luck, Mark

Really cool finds! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks you guys! I like it when the "other" digs outshine the shiny!

Back
Top Bottom