Looking into a second detector

jordanmills

A few months ago, I had an excuse to get an MD and needed it same or next day because a guy doing landscaping lost the keys to his truck in my yard. So I got a bounty hunter land star. It's a LOT better than I was expecting (having used nothing more than a cheapo all metal MD years ago). But I've learned more and got more experience and I think I'm ready to spend more money on something better. Also I have access to a virgin mid-to-late 19th century farm/home site that has tons of iron trash (except the square nails aren't exactly trash...), with the twist that nobody knows exactly where which buildings were.

I think my budget is about $500, possibly stretched 25-30% up. I have never used anything more "advanced" than that Bounty Hunter Land Star. It has basic analog discrimination, notch, depth, and target ID, but I've only found concentric coils for it. I think one thing I need is the capability for factory-quality DD coils.

Can anyone offer advice and possible more information on what to look for (or what I should be asking myself)? From what I'm seeing, a Garrett Ace 400 or Ace APEX seems like what I should be looking into. Any other input or suggestions?

Thanks

If you can afford one a used Minelab Equinox 600 would be even better because they see non-ferrous targets near iron.

I second the Minelab 600. Excellent detector and can be had for a discounted price that’s close to your price range. Right now you can get the 600 with a free set of the Minelab Wireless Headphones. Call Jeff at Quality Metal Detectors (forum sponsor) for a great deal.

If you can afford one a used Minelab Equinox 600 would be even better because they see non-ferrous targets near iron.

I second the Minelab 600. Excellent detector and can be had for a discounted price that’s close to your price range. Right now you can get the 600 with a free set of the Minelab Wireless Headphones. Call Jeff at Quality Metal Detectors (forum sponsor) for a great deal.

Thanks both. Getting one from a forum sponsor is definitely a plus. I'll keep them in mind.

I agree with the guys above. I would look at either the Minelab Vanquish 540 Pro Pack or Minelab Equinox 600. I have the Equinox 600 and it is a great machine. And people say great things about the Vanquish and right now it comes with a free pinpointer.

Definitely reach out to a forum sponsor. Dealers can't advertise a lower price, but call and ask and they can cut you a better deal than the advertised price.

I have a nox 800 and vanquish 540 and xp orx. I feel the Vanquish 540 with 10” coil is as good all around as the others.

I haven’t used the vanquish but I have a equinox 800 and love it. But I have a buddy that has a nokta simplex. And for the price in my opinion it cannot be beat. It will complete with high end detectors and nokta stands behind their products.

I haven’t used the vanquish but I have a equinox 800 and love it. But I have a buddy that has a nokta simplex. And for the price in my opinion it cannot be beat. It will complete with high end detectors and nokta stands behind their products.

Really? I was just looking at that yesterday. They advertise it as entry level.

The Simplex+ is a great deal at $340 ...... has good depth and telescopes down to 25 inches .....I take mine apart in like 6 seconds....to put in my back pack.
Good luck which ever is your choice .

Really? I was just looking at that yesterday. They advertise it as entry level.

Yes I was very impressed. It was hitting some targets that where very deep. He is doing really well with it. He post on another forum Nate’s metal detecting is his name on there. We met after the local paper done a article on me. They got in contact with me to see if I could detect with him to show him some pointers. But I’m going to tell you there isn’t much teaching him. His is very young and is doing well with the simplex. It made a believer out of me and I don’t say that much. I have detected with a lot of people with a lot of brands but this one is the most impressive so far. No joke the very first place I took him he found a shield nickel and a v nickel Botha first for him. I checked some of his targets. Some he wasn’t sure if they were good or not as he is learning the sounds still but he was picking up every target my nox did. He is going to be one of those guys that finds amazing things and teaches all of us one day lol.

Yes I was very impressed. It was hitting some targets that where very deep. He is doing really well with it. He post on another forum Nate’s metal detecting is his name on there. We met after the local paper done a article on me. They got in contact with me to see if I could detect with him to show him some pointers. But I’m going to tell you there isn’t much teaching him. His is very young and is doing well with the simplex. It made a believer out of me and I don’t say that much. I have detected with a lot of people with a lot of brands but this one is the most impressive so far. No joke the very first place I took him he found a shield nickel and a v nickel Botha first for him. I checked some of his targets. Some he wasn’t sure if they were good or not as he is learning the sounds still but he was picking up every target my nox did. He is going to be one of those guys that finds amazing things and teaches all of us one day lol.
Wow that's great. Both to hear that a young guy is doing so well and that the gear performs. I might have to seriously look at that one instead. Thanks for sharing.

At your price point, I would probably get the Vanquish 540 pack with the extra coil and headphones. It sounds like the Vanquish is essentially the Equinox (which I have and like) with a feature or two missing but the same essential capabilities, and at a great price. Here's a discussion and comparison:
https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/11896-the-mighty-minelab-vanquish/

Reading more about the Vanquish, one thing to know is that it apparently does not have user adjustable ground balance, which would be limiting in some places.

I second the Simplex recommendation. The features it offers and the ease of use, its just hard to beat. I'm sure the Minelab machines are great too. Whatever you decide, happy hunting!

Thanks everyone. I wound up getting a Nokta Makro Simplex+ (with v2.78 firmware from the factory). There was a bit of a learning curve over my BH LS (and I'm still learning), but it seems to be MUCH more effective. So far, it was able to find a pretty deep shotgun shell base, about 8" down, that the BH didn't seem to notice. And at a local school yard that I'd gone over with my BH and pulled about $5 worth of clad before it seemed tapped out, the Simplex found another $2 and there seemed to be more but I ran out of time.

So in my opinion, I probably would have been better off saving the money on the BH and buying the Simplex+ first. Not to knock First Texas at all - they seem to make gear that is great for the price point and target market.

Now I need to start saving up for that Equinox 800.

Also, I STILL haven't found a single silver coin. Despite a good bit of research, a fairly detailed search of several yards of houses built in the 1930s, and a couple of parks and old library site that have been around since about the same time. I did find one silver ring a couple of days ago near a school that I'm trying to see if I can find an owner for.

Reading more about the Vanquish, one thing to know is that it apparently does not have user adjustable ground balance, which would be limiting in some places.

That might kill it at one of the places I got permission. I have access to a ranch that used to be a working farm from at least the early-to-mid 1800s, possibly a hundred or more years earlier (it looks like some of the "hills" are way too long and straight and were really old rock walls). Never detected. The catch is that the ground is highly mineralized in some places. I had to do some crazy stuff with the BH detector to get it to work at all.

Back
Top Bottom