Tips for metal detecting in high crime areas?

hellomikie92

I don't know if this is the right forum for this topic, but if it isn't the moderators can move it to the proper forum. Any tips for hunting in high crime areas?? I am trying to achieve something, that most metal detectorists doesn't do, and that is hunting the medium to high crime areas, in a certain city. Well, I will start with my area in and around Marietta, where a lot of hobo's hangs out, and a few to none gangs. I know its kinda risky, but most of the ghetto/ high crime areas in this country, are some of the oldest areas, that was very well kept up, in the early 20th century. Those areas used to be nice, and used to have low to very little crime, now times changed, and a lot of those used to be beautiful safe areas, is now not as safe as they were, in the early twentieth century. And most of the parks, and such, are still virgin sites. Correct me if I am wrong fellas. So what do I need to do in order to stay alive in some of these areas?

Call me crazy, but I just gotta try and hunt a couple medium high crime areas.

I don't know if this is the right forum, but if it isn't the moderators can move it to the proper forum. Any tips for hunting in high crime areas?? I am trying to achieve something, that most metal detectorists doesn't do, and that is hunting the medium to high crime areas, in a certain city. Well, I will start with my area in and around Marietta, where a lot of hobo's hangs out, and a few to none gangs. I know its kinda risky, but most of the ghetto/ high crime areas in this country, are some of the oldest areas, that was very well kept up, in the early 20th century. Those areas used to be nice, and used to have low to very little crime, now times changed, and a lot of those used to be beautiful safe areas, is now not as safe as they were, in the early twentieth century. And most of the parks, and such, are still virgin sites. Correct me if I am wrong fellas. So what do I need to do in order to stay alive in some of these areas?

Call me crazy, but I just gotta hunt a couple medium high crime areas.
Watch all the Charlie Bronson "Death Wish" movies before you head out...............................

You're thinking outside the box, and that's how we find the good stuff! I would think you would definitely want to hunt mornings while most of the hoodlums are sleeping. Nobody parties all night and gets up early! I would want to have a concealed carry permit and a cocked and locked piece. A mono headphone with one cup so you can hear what's around you, and keep your back to the sun so you see the shadows coming. Walk in like you own the place....Good luck, and HH

You're thinking outside the box, and that's how we find the good stuff! I would think you would definitely want to hunt mornings while most of the hoodlums are sleeping. Nobody parties all night and gets up early! I would want to have a concealed carry permit and a cocked and locked piece. A mono headphone with one cup so you can hear what's around you, and keep your back to the sun so you see the shadows coming. Walk in like you own the place....Good luck, and HH

Don't you have to be like 25 to buy a weapon?, mono head phone? hmmmmm I dunno where to find one of those. Thanks for the tips

I'd probably want to be with at least one buddy, and I think a gun is a good idea.

You're still probably going to be targeted, since you're a curiosity, and you're walking around with something valuable.

Hunting buddy!!! Both be packin heat!!! and I like the early in the day idea also, with sun at back!!! Let us know what ya find!!! Be Safe, Pay Attention, and start practicing your situational awarness everywhere you go!!!!

maybe let the officials know that you're going to be in such and such an area.
sidearm if you're permitted, hunting buddy, cell phone. early part of the day and extra keen senses. know what's around you 360 degrees!

There have been a few threads about this subject some say hunting in packs or with protection you should be fine, others think it's crazy even to think of it.

I am in that second group.
There is nothing in the ground you can possibly dig that is worth your wallet detectors, car or your life.

Hellomikie, thanks for sparking some debate on a good subject. I've wondered the same thing in regards to lower income areas of cities being typically older developed areas as well.

As mentioned above the legal age to purchase a hand gun in GA is 21, 18 if your buying a long arm. And unless you have a conceal carry permit then you have to complete the background check paperwork and return a few days later to pick it up after your approved, or at least thats how it was several years ago when I lived there. Their theory behind waiting is if your buying the weapon to kill someone then if you have to wait a few days to pick it up, your likely to change your mind and not commit the crime. :timer: Idiots!

As far as the conceal carry permit, in GA assuming it hasn't changed in recent years, it takes about 5-6 months to get it in after you apply. When I moved to FL I was shocked because it only takes 3-4 weeks here.

The advice mentioned in previous post sounds pretty spot on: don't go alone, preferably several in the group and go early.

There's good stuff to be found in the 'hood, and your reasoning is spot on...Don't go it alone though, hunt with at least one other person.

All good suggestions

All comments are good and have merit. I always carry a side arm (not just in bad areas). But you have to realize that there are alot of laws concerning when and how to use. It also requires a mind set to actually use it if the situation arises. You never pull it from your holster to back somebody off. If you are truely afraid for your life, you draw and shoot. You have to make the decision to do that before you even start to carry. Pulling a side arm with no intention of shooting (stopping the threat) is more dangerous than not carrying one at all. I Don't mean to preach; just give it some serious thought. One other thing..... Don't stop to chat to curious bystanders. A simple "uh-huh" or nothing at all is all you should say. In these areas, it pays to be "rude".

I've detected in the hoodiest areas of the hood before and never had a bit of trouble. Everyone was cordial and sometimes inquisitive.

Make eye contact and say hello when the situation presents itself....common courtesy goes a long way.

And, have a plan to shoot anything and everyone (Haha). I don't carry when MDing. One more thing on my belt pulling my pants down as well as not wanting to flash it while bending over retreiving targets.

I would suggest choosing a well exposed area and do a trial run. I think you'll find the hood isn't so scary after all.

Are stun guns legal in your area ? The type when turned on they snap
crackle and pop and on the top it looks like a lightning storm happening
between the two terminals. Also it might be a good idea to wear
some body armor if allowed in your area.

There are two things humans fear the most, a pack of large dogs on the loose
and electrocution.

But joking aside I am with Digger on this one and would pass. So my
tip for you is stay out of those areas to hunt as the clad/risk (your life) ratio
is just no worth it.:gunbandanna:

Take care,
CDNsilver

Purchase this hat and shirt combo and wear them when detecting.

41xmP0h6OcL._SX385_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom