• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

QUICK! Advice for my first hunt?!

if you're nearby me it's going to be awful hard to start digging through the ground since it appears to be pretty frozen. But you may find some spots are just crunchy. Like the others have said leave everything just like you found it. If I were you I may try a couple playgrounds to get an idea of how your machine works.

Take you time, don't get frustrated, and give yourself time to learn your machine. When I first started out I dug EVERYTHING. After a while I tried to guess what I had located before I dug and when I started being correct most of the time then I was able to decide what targets to pass. In general though, I still dig almost every signal.

Listen to the sounds and keep them in you mind as you dig and after you pull out your target. Dig plugs slowly and carefully so they go back in and look as if nothing happens. Carry a 2x2' cloth to put the dirt on you may need to dig once the plug is removed. This will let you put all the dirt back in the hole it came from. Plastic is ok but will blow away and you will get tired of cashing it, heavy canvas works nice.
You need a pin pointer, if you don't have one, you will want one after your first hunt assuming you are hunting on land and not the beach.
You will pull more junk then good for a good long time, sooner you lean that sound and what you get out of the ground for that sound the faster you will stop digging so much junk.. Your arm will hurt the day after you hunt if you stay at it for a couple of hours.. Check you have all your gear before you get in the car to go home..

Ok! So I got 1 cut finger (from the serrations on my digging tool), 1 blister from digging, a 1946 Wheat Penny, a 1941 Canadian Penny, a HUGE nut (seriously), and a bunch of other metal !!!!. I will post photos later! :D

Question.. Is the detector supposed to make a lot of noise (low tone beeping), and then beep higher when a target is found?

I'm thinking that the yard was absolutely full of iron !!!!, because it wouldn't stop making noise. (the low tone boops).

Get yourself a pinpointer if you don't have one.Watch youtube videos and read your manual.And don't get discouraged by digging trash because thats a part of hunting too.Good luck.HH.

I'd like to add that a backup digging tool is important too.

Also a small magnifying glass is a must at least for me.

Don't have one yet, but a friend of mine also carries a first-aid kit with him as well.

Backup batteries.

Watch out for some guys dog(s) who may come flying out of nowhere to see what you're doing while your digging and you ruin a good pair of underwear.

Keep an eye out for a rabid pack of Boy Scouts who will also show up out of nowhere and start playing football over you while you are digging and trip over your brand new MD almost yanking the headphones from your head.

Have fun and can't wait to see what you dig up. :grin:

Utilities

Be safe and don't dig near Utilities. Some may not be as deep as you think for example cable TV, phone and gas.

Ok! So I got 1 cut finger (from the serrations on my digging tool), 1 blister from digging, a 1946 Wheat Penny, a 1941 Canadian Penny, a HUGE nut (seriously), and a bunch of other metal !!!!. I will post photos later! :D

Question.. Is the detector supposed to make a lot of noise (low tone beeping), and then beep higher when a target is found?

I'm thinking that the yard was absolutely full of iron !!!!, because it wouldn't stop making noise. (the low tone boops).

Good Job.... Oh yeah. Gloves.... You may find some silver in that yard...

Back
Top Bottom