300 mph Bluebird jet boat returns to water 51 years after fatal crash

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
Cool story, kind of shocked it took so long to recover boat/body though.

(Video at link)

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/08...urns-to-water-51-years-after-fatal-crash.html

The jet-powered Bluebird roared past 300 mph before it vaulted into the air, flipped and crashed into the lake, breaking in two and killing the 45-year-old Campbell.

It was 34 years before divers managed to raise the Bluebird's wreckage from the bottom of 150-foot deep lake in March 2001.

1533584170832.jpg

1533583833192.jpg

I met Ken Warby a few years back..as far as I know, he is still the holder of the Speed record in this discipline since 1978......318 mph in the Spirit of Australia...Unbroken to this day!

He slapped that boat together out of lumberyard plywood and various bullcrappery, army surplus aircraft jet engines!...BUT, he had some sort of mental concept on how to balance the power to the Hull design just perfectly right! It was a natural gift or something...no other reason His water speed record still stands to this day?

He will admit..damn perfect day with just a bit of small chop to break the surface tension, and that damn thing FLEW flat and straight! A perfect balance/power ratio and conditions...

Still, to build a boat back then with no computer design and no test tunnel prototype or anything? No lifesaving devices or 5 pt harness? Out of furring strips and 1/4" paneling and elmers glue and drywall screws? A guy has only got one chance to get it right the first time..and Ken Warby did!

He made a big impression on me when considering Hull design/power ratios...

Speed on the water is deadly as hell! Unbelievable theres guys running 300hp bassboats on nasty loggy river systems!...them with no prior boat experience either..damn jet skis doing 70mph with a kid at the throttle....

I really prefer building low hp wooden boats...the most efficient hull designs per powerplant/fuel economy maintenance etc...Safe, cheap and prudent... Like Me!!

..But I bet I could do a real bullet boat if I wanted to!...I got some paneling sitting around here, and a guy can get a jet engine and any old youtube wannabee jackass dummy to run the throttle nowadays pretty easy!......Plus, I got some new technology items Ken didnt have access to back when he built his boat! Gorilla Glue, Bubble wrap, and Flex Tape! Should be easy! :laughing:

Attachments

• viking boat.jpg
    viking boat.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 79
  • tugboat1.jpg
    tugboat1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 74
  • red 1.jpg
    red 1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 75
  • river boat1.jpg
    river boat1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Local boy local lake

https://wsrdeaths.webs.com/198089.htm

Wichita Mike, Dewcon, and myself have put in many many hours detecting this lake. Lots of funky things have been dug up. Never any jet boat parts yet. Check out his speed before the wheels fell off. Nephew of Art Arfons who set Bonneville speed record in a jet powered racer back around 1963.

https://wsrdeaths.webs.com/198089.htm

Wichita Mike, Dewcon, and myself have put in many many hours detecting this lake. Lots of funky things have been dug up. Never any jet boat parts yet. Check out his speed before the wheels fell off. Nephew of Art Arfons who set Bonneville speed record in a jet powered racer back around 1963.

Pretty cool site, some of those boats put me in the mind of some of the "street machine" paint schemes. I was never really "into" boats, but did make it to the Madison Regatta a couple times when I was still in Indiana. I thought there was talk of closing it down, but just read it's still going strong.

I love speed record vehicles of any kind!

Has anyone ever seen the movie "World's Fastest Indian" I thought it was a great movie!

True story too, he was 68 years old when he set his last record... It still stands today..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burt_Munro

<°)))>{

That man was a hardcore speed demon :yes:

Back
Top Bottom