<Finding A Huge Treasure Hypothetical ?>

Swing4TheRing

Forum Supporter
So, a hypothetical question here... say you found a huge sum of treasure out in a public place, beach, in the water, what have you... and no one else was around to see you find it.

What would you do once you've recovered it all? Lawyer up? Go to the media? Say nothing? Say you found it on your property? Say it was passed down to you from family? Sell it on the black market? So many options it seems but is there really one best way to approach it in today's day and age knowing that others are out to take it from you. Let's hear some opinions because I know we've all thought about it!

Scoundrel doesn't count in this poll LOL! :p

I would zip my lips and sell it off slowly if I ever needed the money. In the meantime, it would be on display in my living room. :laughing:

G2M

Yes zip my lips , research the treasure for owners . If all is right , defend it from being seized for taxes , and help my family by selling it quietly .
HH

Shut up! Sell off as you need to in small amounts to different buyers in different locations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Covert cash transactions. Wouldn't even tell my mother, although I would buy her something nice.

Well .... seeing as how I'm a law-abiding citizen, who follows the "code of ethics" (printed on the back of every instruction manual with new detectors), I'd do the following:

Show up at the city hall (or county offices, or state offices, or whatever type land it was), and dutifully say :

"Hello. I found this on your land. Can I keep this for my own fun and profit to sell on ebay? Or does this belong in the city/county coffers/museums ?"

Let them answer for you, so that you're doing the "right thing". Afterall, you wouldn't want to "get arrested". Now would you ? :jail:

Its a good question. We all have a decent chance at that exact scenario. Our Brothers up in Maine might trip across a viking hoard for instance. Central and Southern States detectorists a cache of CW payroll gold...Indian/CW graves. We all have seen AquaChiggers vid of all those silver dollars...An Arizona Nugget hunter may just find a second 'Hand Of God'...No telling what the Salties on the coasts will come across someday when the tide goes out...Scubadee has a hell of a good chance for a major score! In fact, thinking about it? Did you see that new truck he just bought?:laughing:

Me? Where I hunt and the areas I target, up early and out, its gonna be a BIG bag of cash money and a similar scene from "No Country for Old Men"....I have no doubt, this will someday occur, and I have to be ready!!

For this event, a big crime scene, which would shortly be discovered by somebody else, even if I got in and out of there unseen, IF I had my cell phone with me like normal, I'd be tracked down before noon!...All they gotta do is pull up all the phone pings from the nearest cell tower to know who was there and when!...which means I got about a 5hr head start!:laughing:

Which I could stretch into a few years or more...by tossing my phone in the back of an East bound semi with Canadian tags as I bee line South and West! Then, as they are looking for me in Toronto, I'd log back in here from the Ali Baba Sultans suite in Vegas and do a post titled "Mud on the Run" with a big pic! Then, I'd PM all my Forum buddies to see who wants to help me spend it! See? a guy has to think!:laughing:
Mud

Last edited:
I would play a joke on one of my friends and bury it 15" down and then place a musket ball 8" on top of that so he would find the target easily. Then sit back and watch his face as he makes banner.

Oh wait, somebody already beat me to that gag.:lol::lol:

Back
Top Bottom