Possible privy?

ynnek4

I just received permission to detect a site where there were two 1916 houses. While I was at the site I noticed a very obvious 3-5 foot diameter depression behind where these houses would have stood. While I was there I also noticed random pieces of glass and ceramics. I was curious if privies were still being used around the time of these houses and if it would be worth going the extra step to probe it and possible undertake a digging? If I am correct, this date range sort of falls after the peak time.

I am probably going to go out this week and take some pictures and post them in this thread. Would this help identify if it is or not?

PS: I am a complete newbie when it comes to anything privy-related.:cool:

Thanks!

Sounds promising. There's also the possibility there were structures there before '16. Sounds like you need to get you a probe rod and see how it feels. You should have a different soil type that will feel different than the soil around it and usually encounter lots of bottles and what not on your way down. GL, HH and most of all, Have fun! :aok:

A privy will generally have 4 somewhat distinct corners, if it's more of a circular shape, it was probably a tree.

Sounds promising. There's also the possibility there were structures there before '16. Sounds like you need to get you a probe rod and see how it feels. You should have a different soil type that will feel different than the soil around it and usually encounter lots of bottles and what not on your way down. GL, HH and most of all, Have fun! :aok:
I happened to have a probe ready to go. Gonna go out there this week and post some pics here and let the experts decide if it is worth the effort.
A privy will generally have 4 somewhat distinct corners, if it's more of a circular shape, it was probably a tree.
Great info! Thanks!

.........I was curious if privies were still being used around the time of these houses and if it would be worth going the extra step to probe it and possible undertake a digging?

Thanks!

Yes.

People were using "out buildings" until after they had electricity. If you go deep enough off the main roads people were using "out buildings" for a while.

I've seen old houses that still had outhouses standing into the 70s, though they probably weren't used in a long while. I should say that most of the privys/trash holes I've dug were mostly round. But - trash holes can also be very irregular, so what I do is probe until I find the edges and once I know what I'm dealing with, I check depth (mostly 4' or less) and start diggin'. Get through the root layer and then "go to town". :D

Yes the probe is the *quickest* way to find out if there's anything solid down there or not. *Hint* The ground is usually softer when it has been dug once compared to the surrounding area.

My grandparents farm had one in use up until about 1980....when they retired from the city they then added a modern bathroom to the old farmhouse.

I just received permission to detect a site where there were two 1916 houses. While I was at the site I noticed a very obvious 3-5 foot diameter depression behind where these houses would have stood. While I was there I also noticed random pieces of glass and ceramics. I was curious if privies were still being used around the time of these houses and if it would be worth going the extra step to probe it and possible undertake a digging? If I am correct, this date range sort of falls after the peak time.

I am probably going to go out this week and take some pictures and post them in this thread. Would this help identify if it is or not?

PS: I am a complete newbie when it comes to anything privy-related.:cool:

Thanks!
If there is evidence of an older home being right there it may be a privy.If not I doubt it . Could be a cistern or something they filled in with trash . I am used to digging privies from the time frame 1820-1860. Sounds to me like you’ve got a modern trash pit of some sort. Personally these days with my bad back I wouldn’t bother with something that recent. But if you are up to it dig a test hole and see what’s there .

This should be obvious, but permission to “detect” the site is way different than digging a possible privy, so be sure you have permission for either before proceeding. Wouldn’t want to see you get on the bad side of the owner.

We had a working outhouse in the mid 1960's. Privy holes will look like round depressions so def hunt around them and between them and the house.

Steve

When my father was young he said they used a privy at his family's home up to the mid 30's, they only lived a mile from downtown Main street.

Back
Top Bottom