• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Civil war battlefield hunt - the stuff of nightmares

CanSlawCartoons

Perfect weather today for a nice civil war hunt. Worked an area of a battlefield and ran into the worst dump site I've ever seen. The surface was littered with pulltab can tops.

There were HUNDREDS. And spread across a good quarter acre.

The pic doesn't do it justice. All I needed was evil laughter echoing thru the woods as I stared at the can lids. Needless to say, I left the area quickly.

2f0a7372c4ac6f0840729515e5210cfc.jpg

But you gotta think, thats what other relic hunters probably did also. So that where the good stuff is!

People always say stuff like dig everything or use a sniper coil. I think that you find more stuff actually by walking away from places like that and going someone better.

But you gotta think, thats what other relic hunters probably did also. So that where the good stuff is!
Could be true!

I did poke around a bit first. Found a Wheatie amongst the lids.
Luckily I can go back anytime and pick thru the mess again.

Hitting the spots that have actually produced tomorrow!

People always say stuff like dig everything or use a sniper coil. I think that you find more stuff actually by walking away from places like that and going someone better.
Agree.
I will give any spot that I have researched a chance but I also know when to walk away and hit another spot.

Could be true!

I did poke around a bit first. Found a Wheatie amongst the lids.
Luckily I can go back anytime and pick thru the mess again.

Hitting the spots that have actually produced tomorrow!

:D Good hunting!

Wow. I'd probably throw in the towel on that spot. If it's a battle field then patience might pay off. I dug a breast plate last year that was in modern bullets. I know it's the only reason it was there. Good luck & HH.

"Pulltops"

You stumbled onto a bunch of "pulltops". They were the forerunner of "pulltabs" and started to show up pre 1950 but only lasted less than 30 days or so when Thurmon Goodson, a park employee picking up trash was heard mumbling....

How come they pull the whole dang top off?? caint they just pull off a little piece? I mean you can cut your lips off tryin to drank outa them things. A new upstart park high school graduate employee overheard Thurmons comment and within 2 weeks invented the "pull-tab" in his mothers kitchen and SHAZAMM!!! the rest is history..:grin:

You stumbled onto a bunch of "pulltops". They were the forerunner of "pulltabs" and started to show up pre 1950 but only lasted less than 30 days or so when Thurmon Goodson, a park employee picking up trash was heard mumbling....

How come they pull the whole dang top off?? caint they just pull off a little piece? I mean you can cut your lips off tryin to drank outa them things. A new upstart park high school graduate employee overheard Thurmons comment and within 2 weeks invented the "pull-tab" in his mothers kitchen and SHAZAMM!!! the rest is history..:grin:
Ha!

I hate sites like that. I have an old hom site I'd love to hunt, but it was rented by a guy who loved to drink bud light and he throw his smashed cans everywhere. Pretty much impossible to hunt :(

Not just limited to Civil war sites, my "best find" in Germany has been a 1972 Puch Maxi moped in the bottom of a German WW2 trench! I was not amused.

Surely the lids didn't cover the whole battlefield. I'd hunt around that area and save it for very last. If enough goodies come out of the sight I'd for sure take a rake to it and hunt it all.

I understand, I myself have come upon sites like that . And you can't help but wonder what may be in the ground that has never been discovered.

Back
Top Bottom