Turnip Recipes?

Carol K

Co-owner
Admin
I don't know why I planted turnips, but I did and now they are ready to eat!

I just got through making "Hillbilly Fries" which is a oven baked recipe.

So what else is a good recipe for turnips? Anyone else eat turnips?

Sorry, we already ate all the Hillbilly Fries before I thought to take a picture. They were pretty good actually. :D

Hillbilly Fries

Serves/Makes: 4 | Ready In: 30-60 minutes

Ingredients:
8 medium turnips
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic and pepper seasoning
1 teaspoon ground paprika

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Pare and cut turnips into 2 1/2 x 1/2 inch sticks. ("steak fries" size) In gallon-size sealable plastic bag, combine cheese, onion powder and paprika. Add turnips; seal bag, squeezing out air; toss to coat turnips. Place turnips on baking sheet. Bake 15-20 minutes or until turnips are tender and golden.

I like turnips, we usually have them at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Hillbilly Fries sounds good to me, I will have try them some time. Thanks for the recipe.

I can't stand turnips Carol to me they taste like dirt ;) How are the hubbard squash seeds doing I sent you?

They are doing fine Craig, but last week we caught a squirrel swiping the little baby ones and eating the yellow flowers! :(

You eat so many weird foods, I can't believe you don't like turnips. :lol:

Carol... if you have a over abundance of squash blossoms you can pick them dip them in egg and flour (lightly) then lightly saute them... quite tasty... sprinkle a little salt and pepper.. oh yeah crisp is best...

Take the greens and diced the roots throw in some pork fat and dont forget the cornbread

turnip greens

are better than the turnips. I like both actually. Booker is right on. Cut out the heavy stemy part of the greens, slice them up, and saute them along with salt pork.
Everyone knows "salt pork rules"
My mother would cook turnips mixed with carrots mashed at thanksgiving.
I have a question Carol, when did you plant the turnips? It was a fall crop when I lived up in the cold country. I picked tomatos today. Getting ready to rip them up and start new plants soon for a late august planting....Gil the gardner..:D

Thanks for the tips!

For supper we tried... "Caramel Turnip Slices." They turned out pretty good. :yes:

Here's the recipe:

Caramel Turnip Slices

Serves/Makes: 4 | Ready In: 30-60 minutes

Ingredients:
1 large turnip, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Directions:
Cook turnip slices in boiling salted water until tender 20 to 25 minutes. and drain.

Melt butter in a large skillet over low heat. Stir in brown sugar. Add turnip slices. Cook and turn frequently until slices are glazed.

I'm going to have to try one raw. To me they smell like a cross between a radish and a cabbage.

My favorite turnip recipe:

1.) Pull turnip out of ground.

2.) Throw very hard at someone you are mad at.

There are a few vegetables I really don't want to eat, turnips, beets, and any sort of boiled greens among them. I nearly forgot okra, which is just too slimy to eat. I'm not a big squash fan, but there are some ways that I will eat it.

-- Tom

Turnips are not a popular food over here. As far as I know, they are used mostly for animal feed,
or for "bulking out" other processed foods.

I quite like roast parsnips though.

There are a few vegetables I really don't want to eat, turnips, beets, and any sort of boiled greens among them. I nearly forgot okra, which is just too slimy to eat. I'm not a big squash fan, but there are some ways that I will eat it.

-- Tom
You probably heard this when you were a kid Tom - and you are not too old to hear it again "Now eat your greens Thomas", ;):lol:.

Turnips is some good eatin. We only planted them in a fall garden and ate them during the winter.
Growing up, Mamma would render a couple of slices of smokey bacon. Peel and cut up the turnips in 1/2 in slices. Salt and Pepper and enough water to cover. Add a few chopped up greens for color. Slow boil until tender. Add a little bit of butter. Serve with thin pork chops fried in a cast iron skillet and mashed potatoes.

You probably heard this when you were a kid Tom - and you are not too old to hear it again "Now eat your greens Thomas", ;):lol:.

I actually like things like spinach in a salad (raw), and I might like them "wilted", but the last place that "wilted" them made them soggy (and to me, boiled greens have a slimy texture, similar to the texture of okra that I can't stand). When my dad ordered me to eat my spinach, it triggered my gag reflex and I threw up at the dinner table, so my mom intervened on my behalf.

To me, both beets and turnips taste sort of like sweetened dirt.

-- Tom

I like turnips, boiled, then mashed like potato's, with butter... yummy. Also, I love greens... I like to mix collard and turnip greens.. great dish. RickO

Do you have "Swede" in the US ?
Similar to Turnip, yellowish in colour. Very nice mashed with butter and pepper.

Do you have "Swede" in the US ?
Similar to Turnip, yellowish in colour. Very nice mashed with butter and pepper.

I prefer Norwegians, tall, blond and hold the pepper. Butter's okay, lots of dripping butter if that's what it takes.

OT

This is hilarious, achaios! :lol:

Well, it turns out "I really like turnips now." and I'm thinking I haven't planted enough of them!

All of these recipes sound great. Yesterday I grated a couple turnips in my salad. They are like radishes sort of.

Back
Top Bottom