So, You like Silver!?

ISawItFirst

I've yet to get silver under my coil, but reading the stories here makes me want to share a different kind of find. It was some time ago, but I just got around to cataloging it. I had some of my own coins that got mixed in, but most of this was from the same place.
This was in a house bought for renovation. It is a pretty good story, but I already typed it once and lost it. Short version: This place had been picked over for value by the estate of the previous owner, but good. It was originally being gifted to several organizations, but the late owners well tank repairs failed after his passing, and the place sat with a swimming pool for a lower level for a month, ruining almost everything.
It was a disaster zone when I finally got in there, with almost nothing of value left, unless you like mold. Had buckets of that. Shame too, paintings on the walls everywhere, molded. Antique furniture, rotted, molded, and destroyed. Any that wasn't ruined or that had value had been removed. After checking the usual hiding spots, and finding a few little items, and not really wanting to touch anything further, I kicked an obviously cheap ceramic vase that was upturned and being used as a table for a small fake plastic potted plant.

Something didn't feel right. The center of gravity was way off. Tucked up into the upturned vase, was a grocery bag. Inside, this is what I found.

Sometimes renovating old houses pays off. Will probably take most of my life to match this with the detector.

Took me longer to count than to find, and I didn't even get any dirt under my nails.
Unfortunately some guy named Mike thought he would keep one of these dollars forever. (scratched his name into the face of it, one and a half times)

Spoiler/ tl;dr : Found during house renovation.

2 Morgans: a 1901 O and a 1921
20 Halfs:1 Barber, 16 walking, 1 franklin, 3 Kennedy (silver 64)
1 Barber quarter, 1 very worn walking quarter
143 merc dimes 40 silver rosies, 1 barber dime
3 steel pennies, 6 silver alloy nickels, 1 - 1907 IHP
104 buffalo nickels, 37 V nickels
Also, 7 very small gold rings some with diamonds, (the big one is gold filled) an 18K GF brooch, and a mini silver spoon pin

Attachments

• Coins3.jpg
    Coins3.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 1,431
  • Coins2.jpg
    Coins2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,360
  • Coins1.jpg
    Coins1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,359
I was going thru a house once. I was bidding to tear it down after a fire. In the attic I kicked a box. It had weight..bi opened it and it was full of letters. I slipped my hand in, separated a section and read the date......1837 !!! Stamps didn't come out till 1847 ! Ther were hundreds of letters from 1830 to 1920's. Including several of the first stamps and "city" stamps that were used before the Feds got involved. Love treasure stories......big or small.....lots of fun

None of the coins look dug to me. I did get a detector out of the house but it is a very cheap one. Use it as a backup for somepne to use when they give me permission.

The silver not even close to my best house find. Ill own another 1 acre lot with a 1920s house on it on the main drag near naptown on friday, and this will be the first one I detect. ( Didnt have a tector b4). I have high hopes. This one has an attic that hasnt been entered in over 30 years. Some boxes, but don't expect to find much, more excited about the yard.

Oh Man! You found a Hoard! Sweet! You know last year about this time, one of our Brothers here, "Foreverrich" detected the yard of a deceased and demolished hoarders condemned house...As the construction crew was tearing it down, They said there were silver coins raining out of the trackhoe bucket like an Oklahoma Hailstorm!

Anyway...Silver Dollars, Halfs, whatnot all over the place! He kept us all intrigued and amused with his posts and pics! It was the damnedest thing you ever seen! Finding multiple Silver dollars on the Daily! I even bought one of those coins from him, for to remember him by and for Good Luck...

Cool story and nice hoard find! I found one not quite as big in the house we bought last winter. Beneath a dresser there was a coin box stashed that was full of silver and a gold ring. Lots of old coins, it was a huge shocker. I'd say yours probably was also! I tore up the original coin box opening it so I had to replace it to keep the whole lot in. :lol:

picture.php

wow, amazing find for sure......closest i ever came to that was deciding to vacuam under the sofa cushions.....clad bonanza!!:yes::yes:

Back
Top Bottom