• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

First week with the apex

The Lama

Elite Member
Really liking the performance in the ocean in multisalt, the nugget earrings i found the first one with the backing on so i thought the other might be near and it was but without the backing i was pleasantly surprised the apex was able to hit the backing at about 3 inches in regular multi on the dry sand

Attachments

• IMG_7665.jpg
    IMG_7665.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 619
WHERE in the wide world of sports are you hunting to find all that in a WEEK?? How many hours are you hunting a day? Crazy...

Whoops i lied that was almost 2 weeks and just so you know the only gold was that little 14k and those 10k earrings

A nice showing of finds, even if it took two weeks to do it.

The Apex is really a very good detector, and working find for me in Multi-Flex, but also using some of the selectable frequencies in assorted locations. I just need the smaller-size coil because most of the places I hunt are not wide-open like a beach. They are rocky, brushy and trashy, and even many of the urban places I visit have an abundance of modern trash to deal, with. I hope the smaller coil is out soon, then I can use both the smaller-coil or Viper coil as needed.

I don't have any freshwater beaches close to me to hunt ... unless maybe one reservoir is down. I'll have to go check that out.

I hope your beach finds continue and the gold/silver ratio to costume jewelry increases.

Monte

Thanks everybody.Monte it's funny you want a smaller coil i keep wondering if i would get a bigger coil when they become available but i'm on wide open beaches.I guess they tried for a compromise that would suit most people.

Thanks everybody.Monte it's funny you want a smaller coil i keep wondering if i would get a bigger coil when they become available but i'm on wide open beaches.I guess they tried for a compromise that would suit most people.
Yes, the new 'Viper' DD coil was a compromise of their 5X8 DD and 8½X11 DD and it is a light-weight coil and works 'OK' for modestly littered to wide-open areas. But .... I would have been just fine if they would have used their 5X8 DD as it would have been a shorter front-to-rear length and that would have helped reduce some masking issues.

Matter-of-fact, I would like to have had a 6½X9 Concentric coil and that could have helped with stability of the VDI responses compared with a DD design. But since I have concentrated on trashier and brushier environments for the majority of my hunting since '83, smaller-size coils have proven to make the much better choice to handle the conditions. Prior to that, going back to mid-'68, I still preferred smaller-size coils in the 5" to 7" diameter for most urban Coin & Jewelry hunting tasks, although a 'mid-size' coil can do OK on many of today's detectors. And mid-size to me would be something like a round 7" to 9" Concentric coil or an elliptical coil such as 5X8 or 5X9½ and generally a Double-D design.

For me and the places I usually frequent, a round-shaped smaller-size coil of 4½" to 5½" or possibly 6", but no larger, would be fine, and I'd likely favor a Concentric design, but a good-working DD might be OK. For you and your beach hunting, or for me and other who might want a little better coverage or a touch more depth on a beach or a plowed field, pastureland or open rangeland, perhaps one of their 8½X11 DD's would be desired? I haven't used Garrett's 9X12 Concentric coil, but I would be interested in giving one a try.

On a competitor's model, the Minelab Vanquish 540, I have used their 9X12 DD and found it to be very comfortable to use in a wide-open area. The rod-mount position is almost dead-center to make it balance so well and it is light weight. I wouldn't mind another new coil from Garrett close to that size and weight and rod-mount location to add to the comfort of the Apex.

Monte

Back
Top Bottom