When do you put on the sniper coil?

Smooth23

Elite Member
Just curious, as I've recently returned from a long hiatus. When I detected in Missouri, everything was shallow, so in general I used a sniper coil anywhere even remotely trashy. In wisconsin, old stuff is generally deep, but there are some damn trashy parks that might still give stuff up. When do you guys decide to switch from the full sized coil to something smaller?

I would generally detect any new park, school, etc. with the stock coil first. While doing that, I can identify areas that have multiple targets in every swing, such as around the pavillions and picnic areas. Then, if I think there are good targets in those areas, I go back over those areas slowly with the sniper coil. It is especially rewarding to find something good-like a silver dime-right between some pulltabs that were obscuring the "good" signal.
There are other reasons to use a small "sniper" coil. They are smaller, and lighter weight. This gives you 2 advantages: they fit in smaller spaces, and they are easier to swing for longer periods of time.
Snipers are also a little less powerful/sensitive. If you are trying to reach maximum depth, this may be a disadvantage. However, this coil property can be used to your advantage too. They are less susceptible to interference from EMI, or metal structures you want to detect close to. Also, with your detector's sensitivity adjustment turned down, they can be tuned to ignore most targets, so you only hear the surface or very shallow coins...or whatever.
Yet another positive note for the sniper coil: more accurate pinpointing! :yes:
I have read that the ID numbers are more accurate with a smaller coil, too, but I haven't payed close attention to that yet.

All depends on the area. If my stock is going crazy and I think it’s a good spot, I’ll swap. I found a stainless ring (I know not much) around a park basketball court under can slaw. The 11” only saw the slaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 6" is usually my main go to when using my Equinox since I mainly hunt urban Chicago parks. The trash there can definitely deaden me if I use the 11" stock coil. When I do go to the suburb parks where it's cleaner, I'd use the stock unless EMI is so loud, then I switch back to the 6".

My Deus has a factory "sniper" program I use with a 9" coil.

I bought a sniper coil for my AT Pro. Wanted to do all the 1700's cellar holes that are full of nails. What did I find that I missed with my 8.5x11 coil? Jack squat! I guess I did a good job going slow with my bigger coil and didn't miss anything significant.

The 6" coil lives on my Equinox full time. I use the CTX with OEM 11" coil for hunting open fields & cleaner ground. The Nox 800 with the small coil for the trashy spots.

When my arm’s ready to fall off due to the 12 inch and I forgot the truss.

All depends on the area. If my stock is going crazy and I think it’s a good spot, I’ll swap. I found a stainless ring (I know not much) around a park basketball court under can slaw. The 11” only saw the slaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I suspect I'm missing targets because of target masking.

Pretty much how it goes for me but my stock Nox coil stays on most of the time as it separates quite well .I keep a 5x10 Joey on my Explorer .My M6 has a Detech 6x8 on it all the time . I bought a 9" concentric for beach hunting with the M6 but I have yet to use it .I've been using the Nox pretty much exclusively since I've gotten it .Family obligations and the pandemic have eliminated at least 95% of my hunting , so I haven't had any arm or shoulder problems from detecting.I don't use any kind of truss , "swingy thingy" or even the arm strap .

If Detech or anyone made an 8x6 for the Equinox, I'd likely never take it off. I did run the 6" coil on my Nox for months when I first got the 6 inch, and that is one nice coil. Any coil in the 8" family would be sweet on the Equinox.

I bought the 9.5 x 5 coil for the Simplex and I haven’t taken it off. I’ve mostly been using it for hunting clad in local parks and my coin count per hunt has definitely went up. I find it’s just so much easier to pick out the coins and it makes the Simplex a lot more stable.

One thing to consider in all of this is EMI. THE biggest factor in whether I will have success or not(given that targets are known to exist) is how much the local EMI is affecting my machine, whichever I might be using at the time. If I am using the Explorer or CTX, depth achievement starts dropping off FAST when I start going below a sensitivity of 18 manual. For those who don’t have these machines, that is about 2/3 of “potential”. Going higher than 25 almost everywhere I hunt creates severe problems in the regard of signal intelligibility, with 30 being maximum. HOWEVER....from past usage...when I installed a very small coil on either machine, the problem with EMI was all but resolved, resulting in the ability to effectively hunt these places, albeit at the expense of slightly degraded depth penetration and ground coverage. The benefit of better target separation might be a consideration, and seems to be the one most talk about, but the mitigation of EMI is also something that should weigh in quite heavily, especially when hunting urban areas.
If you want the “best of all worlds” and don’t want a lot of farting around, the STOCK coil seems to cover that. But if you feel that you’re missing things, are in a tight area or your machine is quite noisy and unstable even at mid levels of sensitivity...small coils tend to help.

Back
Top Bottom