Goodbye At Pro

DelcoDigger

I’ve historically not been a beach hunter, but these days it seems to be that I’m at a beach almost every weekend. Being that the AT Pro is definitely awful on the beach (especially wet sand), I’m going to retire it, probably sell it, and pick up a Simplex for now while I determine the next best step. I’m an oddball, in that I don’t love Minelab products, and want to explore the world beyond Garrett. I really haven’t been impressed with Garrett in recent years. I’m thinking I’ll be going XP Deus, but I’m curious to hear some recommendations. Any input would be appreciated...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The iron range in Beach mode on the Simplex is discriminated out by factory default so iron targets from 0 to 15 will not produce a tone or VDI. Iron targets or any non ferrous target from 16 to 99 will produce a medium tone so yes, the Simplex is one tone only in Beach mode. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of the Simplex but the one tone and you can't change the discrimination pattern in Beach mode is a little restrictive.

The Vanquish 440 or 540 would be a good option too, so would the new Garrett APEX since they are multi frequency, have multiple tones for all of their modes and can get a little wet. So, if you are looking for a decent saltwater beach detector along with some tidal pools and very shallow surf those would be good choices for up to $400. Just don't submerge them.

Then there is the Equinox 600........and the Nokta Makro Kruzers (the Simplex's big sibling) for a hundred of so more dollars and you get fully submergible and lots of tone choices.

DelcoDigger: said:
I’ve historically not been a beach hunter, but these days it seems to be that I’m at a beach almost every weekend. Being that the AT Pro is definitely awful on the beach (especially wet sand), I’m going to retire it, probably sell it, and pick up a Simplex for now while I determine the next best step. I’m an oddball, in that I don’t love Minelab products, and want to explore the world beyond Garrett. I really haven’t been impressed with Garrett in recent years. I’m thinking I’ll be going XP Deus, but I’m curious to hear some recommendations. Any input would be appreciated...
I've thinned out ... 'retired' ... several detectors this year and down to just two remaining to sell. I have acquired a few along the way that I bought or traded for and am currently down to 10 units. Represented are four Nokta / Makro, one Minelab, one Garrett, two White's and two Tesoro. Of those 10, 2 of them are the Simplex +, one wearing the stock 11" DD for a beach or other wide-open areas, and the other the 5X9½ DD for daily travel and general use.

The Simplex + is a very good performer and offers a lot of adjustment and performance for a very competitive price.

As for selecting another detector I can understand your interest in an XP product. Depending on how much adjustment tinkering you want to do, I'd encourage you to also consider their ORX. I personally prefer it to the Deus.

Other considerations might be a Minelab or Garrett of which I own and use one of each. The Vanquish 540 2-coil Pro Pack and the new Apex.

ScottNEflorida: said:
Before you jump on the Simplex I think I remember reading where the Simplex is single tone on the beach. If this matters to you.
Yes, in the default settings the Beach mode is a single-tone detector, but it works quite well. On my 2nd Simplex + I have it set-up as a 2-Tone Beach mode so I hear both the Low-Tone Ferrous targets as well as the High-Tone Non-Ferrous targets, as it is set for 0 Disc. On my original Simplex + I have rejected only the first Disc. segment (Disc. Notch) and accept th two higher Ferrous-range Disc. segments.

Out-of-the-box, the default settings for the Beach mode reject, (aka Discriminate) the first three Disc. segments that cover the primary Ferrous Range. Those would be 1 to 5, then 6 to 10, and 11 to 15 in that order. Not all, but quite a few smaller-size Iron Nails have a VDI read-out of 4 or 5, so I only reject the first Disc. segment. By accepting the other two, I do hear the Low-Tone Iron Audio for ferrous targets that respond in that range with a Low-Tone audio.

Thus, both of my Simplex + devices accept some or all of the ferrous range and are therefore a 2-Tone Beach mode. With the Simplex + it doesn't allow the operator to adjust the Iron Audio Volume because, by design, it has rejected those first three ferrous-range segments. Also, the operator can normally scroll the Disc. adjustment to Accept or Reject any of the Disc. segments from the 4th one on up.

On my two Simplex + devices, each updated to version 2.77, my preferred search mode, other than on a saltwater beach, is the new Park 1 mode, and my second favorite is the Beach mode, with Field being number three. The Field mode seems to get just a tiny bit more depth than Beach, but I prefer the Non-VCO audio of the Beach mode to the VCO enhanced Field mode. Also, I like the audio high-Tone of the Beach mode as it is similar to the mid-Tone of the 3-Tone Park 1.

Monte

Back
Top Bottom