Attack Plan

Longshot

Can you guys offer suggestions on how I should attack the beach when I go on a hunt? I pretty much just wander around aimlessly, but I'm sure there's a better approach to maximize the productivity.

There is obviously the dry sand, damp sand and very wet sand in the surf, as well as in the water itself. There are tide markings around each. There is also tide pools and erosion spots.

With all this in mind, is there a logical approach to what and where to hunt for the best odds?

My last hunt I literally tried all of it... but I felt like I was missing out on something obvious.

the best and thickest action at beach hunting will be: Searching for erosion conditions, when mother nature is eroding the wet inter-tidal sand. Ie.: Tides + swells + onshore winds. When you see cuts or scallop shapes forming in the sand, the sometimes mother nature is grouping all the targets in convenient nice zones. Sometimes so thick, that you can spend an hour in a space no bigger than your living room. Digging non-stop back-to-back targets.

Trouble is: Those condition are rare. Doh!

If the wet sand is soft-to-the-step (spongy) that's a sign that sand has been coming "in". But if the sand is hard-to-the-step (so that you could ride a bicycle on it), that's a sign that sand has been going "out". Also if the waves are glassy blue, that's a sign of no erosion. But if the waves are chocolate brown dirty, that's a sign that sand had been going out in the recent tide-cycle, which bodes better for the wet-sand zone.

the best and thickest action at beach hunting will be: Searching for erosion conditions, when mother nature is eroding the wet inter-tidal sand. Ie.: Tides + swells + onshore winds. When you see cuts or scallop shapes forming in the sand, the sometimes mother nature is grouping all the targets in convenient nice zones. Sometimes so thick, that you can spend an hour in a space no bigger than your living room. Digging non-stop back-to-back targets.

If the wet sand is soft-to-the-step (spongy) that's a sign that sand has been coming "in". But if the sand is hard-to-the-step (so that you could ride a bicycle on it), that's a sign that sand has been going "out". Also if the waves are glassy blue, that's a sign of no erosion. But if the waves are chocolate brown dirty, that's a sign that sand had been going out in the recent tide-cycle, which bodes better for the wet-sand zone.

Thank you! I hope I get one of those living room sized target zones, Haha.

Does soft or hard sand dictate better odds? Soft means new sand from tides, but that means jewelry could have come in fron the deep, so this is good right?

Hard sand means sand has gone out, which could also be good because deeply buried targets will be in a more detectable depth.. at least I think so?

Great advice, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! I hope I get one of those living room sized target zones, Haha.

Does soft or hard sand dictate better odds? Soft means new sand from tides, but that means jewelry could have come in fron the deep, so this is good right?

Hard sand means sand has gone out, which could also be good because deeply buried targets will be in a more detectable depth.. at least I think so?

Don't count on targets "coming in" with the sand. I know targets *do* move around with the inter-tidal sand. But I'm not convinced that the soft-incoming sand has targets (other than light-weight aluminum). Maybe the targets move back in with storms that "throw sand up". Not the gentle spring/summer lull, where the beach is built back up "1 sand grain at a time".

For whatever reason, I have never found incoming sand to be good. It's always when the sand is outgoing. Because mother nature turns the beach into a giant riffle board/sluice-box. And all the metal targets will be grouped into patterns somewhere between the high-water mark and the water's edge.

Once you start finding any targets, circle around it to determine if it's part of a pattern, versus individual lone target.

I have never done much good on sand that is soft-to-the-step. And if you start finding deep light-weight aluminum, that's another signal that sends me packing to look for greener grounds . Because when mother nature has done it right, there will be zero aluminum. All such light stuff has been washed out with the sand. Leaving the heavier targets. In fact, I've even seen it so good that there wasn't even any zinc (since that's a very light coin). Every coin was copper, clad, silver, and lead sinkers, etc.... No zinc. THAT WAS FUN :) We were getting SO Many coins (as fast as you could dig, by barely taking a step in any direction) that we actually started passing all high conductors (yup, kiss silver coins goodbye). So that we could up our odds at gold rings.

Back
Top Bottom