Dug a scarce Spanish Silver - Charles IV 1/4 Real

screwynewy

Elite Member
Headed out this morning with the sun shining and temps in the mid 50's - a perfect day to do some detecting at a colonial site that I found last fall. I've detecting this site a couple of times and based on the lack of signals it is obvious that it has been well pounded before I discovered it. Most high tone signals are rose head forged nails which are plentiful at this site. I got a decent high tone on my T2 SE and I dig all high tones at this site even if it is only a one way signal. I flipped out the shovel full of dirt and see a tiny piece of silver and immediately think that it's a cuff link. I wipe away some of the dirt and see the lion with no lettering - flip it over and see what looks like a castle. Since my eyes are getting pretty bad I put it away to inspect when I got home. That pretty much ended my hunt as it was really raining at this point although I was much happier about stopping for the day with a nice early silver in my pocket.

I found a similar coin on ebay ( link below ) and the seller list it as a scarce coin. Not sure if mine is the same or even rare but I couldn't find a lot on it. Any input on the origin or age of this coin would be appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/251696296191?item=251696296191&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

Attachments

• quarter real 1.jpg
    quarter real 1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 641
  • quarter real 2.jpg
    quarter real 2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 642
I have NEVER seen one of those.... very nice. Holed too makes it a bit unique. Congrats on a nice find.

Thanks for the comments. I was beginning to wander if anyone would appreciate the uniqueness of this coin. I posted it on another forum and several detecting veterans got really excited about it. From my research, there are not many of them known to exist.

The hole looks rusty indicating it may have been nailed to a tree. And the rust is from the nail. It was common in New England. People did it for luck I'm told.

The hole looks rusty indicating it may have been nailed to a tree. And the rust is from the nail. It was common in New England. People did it for luck I'm told.

Makes sense. Could have been grown in a tree at one time. And the tree rotted away. Wouldn't take termites here long since they are eating a live cedar tree in my yard:lol:

http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces34684.html

Above link says Columbia.

Says .898 fineness. So it's basically a 90% coin!
I have a problem with the brown/rust area. I hope that is a stain otherwise it might be a fake. Get that magnet out.

Still a cool find either way!

Yeah, that area around the nail hole does look like rust but it is actually just the sandy/crusty soil that was left in the recessed area since I didn't really clean it very well. I have since used a toothpick and removed most of that. And it does pass the magnet test.

Back
Top Bottom