• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Old Church Property

FliesOnly

I’ve been detecting at an old school house located on some private property that I’ve been given permission to search. I’ve done OK (a few wheat pennies from the 20s, 30s, and 40s, a merc dime, a 1940 “copper” nickel, and a quarter from 1900…along with a few other odds and ends), but have been “searching” for some new places to detect. Somehow or another, despite looking at assorted old maps numerous times, I have repeatedly failed to notice that an old church, which is now long-gone, used to stand at a location one mile from the school house. There’s an old cemetery right across the street, so I probably should have guessed that the empty lot may very well have once been the location of a church, but even after 25 years of driving passed the spot, the notion never occurred to me. The oldest map I have, indicates that the church was there at least as far back as 1879, though I have no idea when it was torn down. As far as I can discern, the property is now owned by the township, with the surrounding land owned by the gentleman who gave me permission to search the old school house, so I think I’m good to go.

I’m headed to northern Minnesota tomorrow morning for a mtn bike race, but will be excited to see what I can turn up once I get back in town. In all those years of driving by the spot, I have never seen anyone there with a detector, though I’d be willing to bet that in all those years, it has been searched at least once.

I do have a question, however. Since the property is owned by the township, do any of you think that if I find anything of potentially historical significance (and to be clear, I do not expect to find any such objects), that perhaps I should show them to the local historical society? Just curious what others might do.

I’ve been detecting at an old school house located on some private property that I’ve been given permission to search. I’ve done OK (a few wheat pennies from the 20s, 30s, and 40s, a merc dime, a 1940 “copper” nickel, and a quarter from 1900…along with a few other odds and ends), but have been “searching” for some new places to detect. Somehow or another, despite looking at assorted old maps numerous times, I have repeatedly failed to notice that an old church, which is now long-gone, used to stand at a location one mile from the school house. There’s an old cemetery right across the street, so I probably should have guessed that the empty lot may very well have once been the location of a church, but even after 25 years of driving passed the spot, the notion never occurred to me. The oldest map I have, indicates that the church was there at least as far back as 1879, though I have no idea when it was torn down. As far as I can discern, the property is now owned by the township, with the surrounding land owned by the gentleman who gave me permission to search the old school house, so I think I’m good to go.

I’m headed to northern Minnesota tomorrow morning for a mtn bike race, but will be excited to see what I can turn up once I get back in town. In all those years of driving by the spot, I have never seen anyone there with a detector, though I’d be willing to bet that in all those years, it has been searched at least once.

I do have a question, however. Since the property is owned by the township, do any of you think that if I find anything of potentially historical significance (and to be clear, I do not expect to find any such objects), that perhaps I should show them to the local historical society? Just curious what others might do.

If you want to keep it, I say keep quiet.

If you want the notoriaty show them, but be ready for possible scrutizination! Always stay off the radar!

I can only speak for myself, but I would certainly show the local historical society any relics or historical items I found. Of course, I'm mainly a coin-shooter, but you may just generate some goodwill if you did find something for the historical society - and that could lead to more permissions. :D

Good luck - it looks like you found a good spot!

I can only speak for myself, but I would certainly show the local historical society any relics or historical items I found. Of course, I'm mainly a coin-shooter, but you may just generate some goodwill if you did find something for the historical society - and that could lead to more permissions. :D

Good luck - it looks like you found a good spot!

bureaucrats, business people, etc, always err on the side of caution. It's easier for them to tell him no, than it is to accept any risks.

He could hit an unmarked waterline, destroy the sprinkler system, destroy property. If he got hurt at the location, would we be liable. Would I get in trouble for giving him permission. Is that theft if I allow him to take what he finds. Am I allowing him to destroy government property. No thanks, easier for me to tell him, No, your not allowed.

I know that we all love the show-&-tell aspect of our hobby. And we're happy to see our stuff in a museum, for example.

But in the case you describe, it can create problems. Sometimes those historical societies are staffed (board of directors, etc...) by purist-archie mentality types. And you might just create questions and issues where none-existed (ie.: the "no one cared UNTIL you showed up" type thing).

And even if that weren't the case, and the persons-you-talked to had no issues, then this becomes merely an issue of "donated items". And while you might think it's noble and kind to donate items, yet the truth is : Museums are already overflowing with items (donated by the public) that never see the light of day. They just don't have the staff time to be perpetually rotating displays each time a seated dime or old sewing machine gets donated.

I know, for example at the 2 museums I docent at, that :

1) It would just raise red flags of "who is this joker digging around here ?" and

2) Your item would never be displayed, even if donated.

It's different if you're commissioned to do that hunt. Or if someone's permission had-been-necessary. Then by all means : Toot your horn, donate, etc....

I doubt you will find any historical objects and I would keep the coins.
Happy Detecting 👍
Yeah, I'm relatively certain that I will not be finding anything of significant historical value and am hoping to pretty much find a few coins, that's all. I was just curious what others thought I should do if, by chance, I do find something "interesting".

I doubt you will find any historical objects and I would keep the coins.
Happy Detecting 👍
I stopped by the property last Thursday on my way home for work to look around for a short while before heading out of town Friday morning. I basically just randomly walked around for a few minutes and found this. :)
Now I can't wait to get back out there.

Attachments

• Columbus Pendant 01.jpg
    Columbus Pendant 01.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 175
  • Columbus Pendant 02.jpg
    Columbus Pendant 02.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 168
Back
Top Bottom