Bad day detecting.

CoiltoSoil

Elite Member
Hit a local park where I have been detecting for a long time, just as me, my uncle, and my little cousin are unloading are detectors a SUV pulls up and the guy say's he's a ranger and if we detect he will hit us with a 500 dollar fine. We asked him where we can detect and he told us no where within the county, try the next county, so we go to the next county, start taking out our detectors and another ranger comes up and tells us we cant detect there, we ask him where to go and he says try the park in the next county, the same one we just got booted out of so we had to drive 45min in the snow to find a spot to detect in some woods and ended up finding nothing but trash. I hate rangers. :mad:

Attachments

• IMG00341-20101226-1453.jpg
    IMG00341-20101226-1453.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG00342-20101226-1455.jpg
    IMG00342-20101226-1455.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 200
Check your states laws out, something sounds weird about that.. I thought someone posted a site that tells all the states parks and if they allow hunting or not.. some require a permit.. let me see if I can find that site for ya..cause if they said no to ya and ya really can hunt with a permit, then I would be upset as well.. hang on looking for it.

guess the rangers were mad cause they had ta work the holiday weekend:roll:

When I was a cop and was offered the chance to work T-Day or Christmas, I jumped at it.....not time and a half for holiday pay, but DOUBLE pay!!! That put me in a good mood!!! :)

Dusty

I just looked it up, apparently even though its a local park it falls under Fairmount park jurisdiction. I knew Fairmount park was off limits but I didn't know they controlled ALL the parks in Philly like this ranger stated. My dad's a cop and he said that sounds like BS to him. According to the ranger you cant detect any park inside the city. They should be more concerned with all the woman getting attacked and bodies being dumped and less concerned with a guy out with his 10 year old kid looking for change. They give the archeologist way too much credit and put them on a pedestal instead of seeing them as they truly are, 5 dollar an hour glorified treasure hunters. With some further research I found out they are the ones who had this ban put in place. As for why the surrounding counties banned detecting I have no idea but it pretty much outlaws detecting on all grass and wooded area's in this region.

what county in pa.??
A friend of mine lives in Pa. we hit a state park in bucks county
and had no problem. W e even checked at the front desk. They gave us the ok...

what county in pa.??
A friend of mine lives in Pa. we hit a state park in bucks county
and had no problem. W e even checked at the front desk. They gave us the ok...

Philly, most state parks are ok to detect but around here most good sites fall within Fairmount territory.

When I saw the title of the thread I was about to say, There is never a bad day detecting but... Sounds like a bad day. Try knocking on some doors and getting permisson on private property and you wont have to deal with rangers.

Back
Top Bottom