Pointers

I detect as a hobby I enjoy, not as a race to the finish-line. If I have to make a job of something, with some sort of time limit, or goal to hit, it's no longer enjoyable. If I find something, cool. If not, I enjoyed the day, and having the ability to do so. Many don't. Life's too short to race toward the end.

Totally agree. Last time I went out, one hour, I came back with 35 cents of clad. I happily noted to my wife that in eight more years, the Equinox will be paid for.

90% of all my hunting is at the beach and there's no way I would hunt without a pointer.

No doubt about it that the pointer will cut hunting time considerably especially on coin spills which seems to be often here.

Can they be beneficial? Sometimes, generally with extremely small items.

People detected for years without them, and did just fine. Nowadays, pinpointers are just like the local drive-thru fast food joint, they're just a convenience for those in a hurry, or never learned how to cook (or pin point in this case).

Seems like most here would give-up detecting if they couldn't use a pin pointer. Pin pointing is really not that hard with some practice. Maybe someone should be making instructional youtube videos on how to pin point with a detector, instead of regurgitating the same ol same ol.

I have a screwdriver I've welded a 1" flat washer to, and 7-8 times out of 10 I can pop out a coin on the 1st attempt. If not, then it's generally just a bit deeper, and not off to the side.

They're biggest benefit for someone is lightening your wallet by well-over $100 :lol:

Thanks for the reply!

I'll go a step further, and explain the process...

Pinpoint

Either "pop" or dig a plug.

Check plug

If in the plug, break apart from bottom, find target

If not in plug, re-scan because you either missed it, or it's deeper.

Many who talk about "speed" will spend minutes trying to determine what's under the coil, while I'm already in the dirt, so I don't follow the thought process there.

I detect as a hobby I enjoy, not as a race to the finish-line. If I have to make a job of something, with some sort of time limit, or goal to hit, it's no longer enjoyable. If I find something, cool. If not, I enjoyed the day, and having the ability to do so. Many don't. Life's too short to race toward the end.

As I've always said, there's only one way to know what's in the dirt, and that's to dig it.

Thanks for the response!

I'll never hunt without one again either! Before I had one it was quite a job finding the target without getting back up from the squatting position and re detecting the hole. With a pinpointer you only have to detect once. It also means you can dig a much smaller hole, and you know which direction to dig if you don't get the target out of the hole the first try. Definitely get one!

Back
Top Bottom