My first find!

appliancejunk

So I just got this metal detector a few hours ago.
Been going through the book and playing with the setting with some test items.

Just before dark I decide to do some MD in my backyard between my house and garage. Five minutes into it I found this about three inches down.

Just about gave up digging. I would dig a spot about three inches down and find nothing. Scan the area and it seemed the spot moved so I dug some more to the side. This went on about four times before I dug up this dime.

I can't make the date out on it can you?
Is there another way I can tell if it's silver other then the date?

Silver or not I'm really excited I found something, wife just rolled her eyes when I showed her, lol...

Attachments

• dimes.jpeg
    dimes.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 377
Nice job good luck with your new hobby. Silver usually comes out of the ground cleaner than that. If you dig 3 inches and a shinny dime comes you have silver. 1964 and prior are 90% silver.

You are going to have to look into a pin pointer. It will save you giant headaches.

Silver or not I'm really excited I found something, wife just rolled her eyes when I showed her, lol...[/QUOTE]

When she asks you for the gold ring you found just roll your eyes.

When she asks you for the gold ring you found just roll your eyes.

Yes, nice... ROFL

Think it is a 199? too. I do have a few silver dimes and it don't sound the same when dropped on the table if that makes any sense.

Good to know silver comes out of the ground cleaner. Just dug up a nail too. Along our wooden fence line of coarse.

You are going to have to look into a pin pointer. It will save you giant headaches.

Pointers, think I seen some when search for MD. They are a small hand held unit? Going to research them a bit.

Glad to see you're in the hobby! It's one of the best to get into for adventure, fun, and extra cash haha! I think that dime is a 1999 or 97. If it's silver it will come out of the ground clean. Granted, there are some old silvers that look like that and are tarnished. Anyways welcome to the forums and have a nice time detecting you'll get a silver soon. Remember research is key!
-MSS

congrats

Congrats on your first find! Invest in a Garrett Pro pointer, it makes it so much easier to pinpoint and find your coins in the dirt. Check with the sponsors on here for a great price.

Silver or not I'm really excited I found something, wife just rolled her eyes when I showed her, lol...

When she asks you for the gold ring you found just roll your eyes.[/QUOTE]

I agree with Sgtwilks, Take pics of the look on her face when the time comes and post them for our amusement please.:lol: Congrats on the first find.

If the Harbor Freight acts up research it here before you get frustrated. They have issues but can be adjusted.

Thats great...your first find was a dime..that is ten times better than mine which as a zinc penny. :D

The Bounty Hunter is not a bad machine at all. My wife loves hers and I used it many times myself.

I agree with the rest of the gang though, get a pinpointer. I don't know how I did without it. Pennys have always been the worst for me, they ghost on me big time and I was spending a lot of time digging in the wrong spot.

Congrats.

Congrats

Way to go on the dime...
Was that your first target, or first coin??
Usually it takes a few nails or bottlecaps to find a coin.
I STRONGLY recommend a pinpointer, I spent almost two years without one and regret it greatly.
You can find used Garrett Pro-pointers on the forum here for $85 or so.

That's just the beginning I'm pretty sure you'll be digging a lot more clad When I started out I use to Harbor Freight pinpoint used it till the switch went bad Jimmy rigged it until I could garrett pro pointer happy hunting

Back
Top Bottom