Weekend haul - silver and double halves

geodawn

Forum Supporter
I've been struggling this year to find new hunting ground in the little town I live in. There are plenty of places to explore in neighboring towns, but I've been silently protesting the gas prices as of late. :p I just happened to remember these old ball fields that aren't used as much as they used to and thought I'd give it a shot. I learned from the architectural journals at the library that these home were all late 1800's/ early 1900's.

img0296he3.jpg

I found a '43 mercury dime about 4 inches down right behind the fence of this field.
img0304ie3.jpg

The haul for the weekend was great, but I've quit looking for clad...it just keeps getting in the way. :) Here is the take, fresh out the tumbler.

img0306ms4.jpg

For whatever reason, clad half dollars are the bane of my existence. I found 6 last season and found 2 more out here. Each time I get that high 88-90 VDI I dig carefully waiting for that silver Franklin or Walking Liberty to break through but so far just really dirty clad Kennedy's.

img0309la3.jpg

If wheats mean silver then I'll be heading back to find more. I found four on Sunday with the oldest being 1913.
img0311oy4.jpg

2nd Merc of the season. They always come out the dirt nice and shiny!
img0312aq5.jpg

Nice coins, heck, I even like the Kennedy halves! Looks like the F-75 is doing pretty good for you.

Really nice Geo! That's a lot of quarters. You got my blood pumping now. May be I should strap the Bigfoot back on this weekend and give the S-12 a rest. I love the depth of field in the photo of the Merc against the clad finds. Nice Photo. Thanks for Sharing Geo!

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Very nice. I'd go back ASAP. Looks like there's plenty left there to find.

Very Nice, sometimes you have to clear out some of that pesky clad before you can find the real good coins......Good work !!! I cant wait to see more from that site, it looks nice

What a great place to hunt ! Good digs, that big silver must be there yet, Steve in so az

That sure is a load of coins and digging. Looks like you found virgin territory. You certainly have plenty of gas and battery money to extend your hunting range. Once you get the newer stuff out of the way you should find plenty of the older coins. Good luck with your next hunt.:yes:

Nice geodawn. Looks like a great place to swing. Hit it while you can before the summer starts.

Is it possible they could have had town picnics there and summer socials? Maybe a gazebo with musicians? You just never know. ;)

Love those Halves, Wheats and Merc. That must have been one perfect day for you. Looks like a great place to hunt.. With gas prices the way they are local hunting is the way to go..

Bruce

Very nice finds Geodawn. Clad or silver, halfs are never an easy find. They just didn't circulate all that much.

What a great selection of coins, and in good condition too.
It looks a good area to detect in as well.

Do you have to get permission from anyone to use your machine there ?

Do you have to get permission from anyone to use your machine there ?

No, it's a city park and there isn't a problem detecting around the area parks or schools without permission. The property taxes are outrageous so this is one liberty they could extend to me. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom