Any button experts? Do I have something?

ISawItFirst

Site details will likely be in another thread, but we were at a historic property in MD. The main residence shows on my early 1700s maps, and we were about 200 yds from it, where a creek used to be and a pond is now. Anyways, heres the button. I am new to relics, so I took the online historic button crash course and it appears to be really really old (by US standards). It was pretty deep. Anyone can give me more info?

Attachments

• Button2.jpg
    Button2.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 294
  • Button1.jpg
    Button1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 260
Looks like a convex flat button dating from the late 1700's to early part of the 1800's but that rusted shank is throwing me off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input. I know nothing of buttons, but are the flat ones flat? Because this isnt flat at all, it is shaped like a thin shallow bowl. I was probably too aggressive cleaning it. The rust seems to only come from the stem.

How is this? Hope it helps.

Attachments

• button3.jpg
    button3.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 224
  • Button4.jpg
    Button4.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 218
  • Button5.jpg
    Button5.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 220
That sounds conclusive!! HaHa.

Closest match ive seen is the hessian buttons with the "cone" style shank.
These have what looks like a perfect disk, or short cylinder, with a dab of rusted iron.

Ill get back to that spot in the next few weeks, see if I can find anything else. The site has seen use for at least 300 years.

Think I've exhausted my google-fu. Ill post here with any finds from the site, and I know a guy or two that might know, but might be a bit before i get to show them.

Back
Top Bottom