Shotgun Shell Head

RyanChappell

Elite Member
I found this at an old homesite:

headstamp.jpg

Nice shotshell head.

It is a bit of a hard one to give a rock solid date on though. I honestly believe that it is "sort of" a carryover line from UMC when Remington and UMC merged in 1911. UMC offered a line of shells called the Shureshot. The Shurshot is only seen with the Rem-UMC headstamp (as far as I know). 1911 is the earliest that it could be, although I believe that it is a later introduction. Even though Remington-UMC was purchased by Dupont in 1934, there is still mention of this line of shells being used in 1956. 1911-1956 is a pretty big date range. I will see if I can narrow it down, but have had problems in the past with this one. I still have questions out for the Remington historian. As soon as they get caught up, I will fire on another email to them.

Doug

Most everything that I can find in the way of ads and brochures are from the 1940's-1950's. Just re-looking through some stuff, I found a 1959 mention of them.

Last edited:
Nice shotshell head.

It is a bit of a hard one to give a rock solid date on though. I honestly believe that it is "sort of" a carryover line from UMC when Remington and UMC merged in 1911. UMC offered a line of shells called the Shureshot. The Shurshot is only seen with the Rem-UMC headstamp (as far as I know). 1911 is the earliest that it could be, although I believe that it is a later introduction. Even though Remington-UMC was purchased by Dupont in 1934, there is still mention of this line of shells being used in 1956. 1911-1956 is a pretty big date range. I will see if I can narrow it down, but have had problems in the past with this one. I still have questions out for the Remington historian. As soon as they get caught up, I will fire on another email to them.
Doug
Most everything that I can find in the way of ads and brochures are from the 1940's-1950's. Just re-looking through some stuff, I found a 1959 mention of them.

Thanks! I meant to post it under the identify section.

It still has cardboard on the inside so 1950s makes sense, right?

The tight cardboard inside the head can be found in 100+ year old heads. I truly think that yours would date from the 1940's-1950's. I was re-reading my original post and I should have said a "ressurected" line instead of a "carry over" line.

Doug

Back
Top Bottom