Bullet and casing ID

azdirtdigger

Elite Member
Hunting a field in a nearby town and found 12 bullets and one casing. by location they are probably 1800s Calvary relics.

There were two different length bullets and the casing is center fire with no primer and the bottom of the casing is marked - C on top, F on the bottom, 2 on the right side and 78 on the left side.

Any of you bullet gurus id these for me??

picture.php

The casing is flattened and is about 2" tall. the bullets are 11mm in diameter. the short bullets are about 1 1/8" tall and the others are about 1 3/8" tall.

Thanks for your replies. Did not find info in the head stamp data base. I am also posting on an ammunition collectors forum.

I saw that also. That business was founded in 1903 (as near as I can tell on google). These bullets pre-date that I believe. Copper casing, no primer.

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully someone here will know what they are.

Another possibility...could it have anything to do with Colt Firearms? I know that there are a lot of headstamps marked "Colt" and I also know that Colt or Colt Industries marketed shotgun shells. It might be an early indicator that it is a Colt round.

COLT%20-%20-12%20GA%20%20TELESHOT.JPG

This one is bugging me. I should be able to figure it out.

Doug

Another picture

Thanks turtlefoot, but I don't think those are a match. My bullets are 11mm and the casing is copper, without a primer and the casing is just over 2". You can also see in this new picture that there is a seam near the base of the casing.

I am waiting for a membership with an ammunition collecting forum to be finalized so I can post there.

picture.php

You are right. I was not a match. I knew I should know this one.

It is an early Frankford Arsenal stamp.

C=Carbine
2=February
78=1878
F=Frankford Arsenal

Give me a second and I will get the URL that the info comes from.

Back
Top Bottom