Bullet casing

moeferg

I found this tonight. The back has an L and C and 44. I assume it is a 44 caliber. The end is crimped and almost looks shot however the primer is still intact. Any idea on brand and age?

Attachments

• bullet.JPG
    bullet.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 315
  • bullet1.JPG
    bullet1.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 311
The crimped end indicates it is a blank cartridge. (Dang it. I have to learn to type faster than Longhair. :lol:)

The crimped end indicates it is a blank cartridge. (Dang it. I have to learn to type faster than Longhair. :lol:)

LOL I am going to have to quit walking away from the computer to take care of things. I didn't stand a chance on this one!

Doug

It doesn't appear to be fired. If you look at the pic below, you will see how much more the star crimp is opened up.

Doug
P1292058.jpg

The damaged case might be an indication of a mis-feed, after which it was discarded.
And you are correct...no lead. But still powerfull enough at close range to kill you.

I've seen fired '06 blanks that didn't appear to open when fired. They were also used to propel rifle grenades. I about hit my Captain with one in training.

As stated blanks were made for war games, 21 gun salutes, rifle propelled gernades. This one was made durring WW2. Depends on where it was found. I am thinking maybe a military funeral and got dropped? 30-6 was a standard military round.

The only thin g Ive ever used blanks for was funeral detail, and when we go to the field to simulate real gunfire. I have noticed that the crimped "star" end will not always open when fired. I concur that it was possibly used in a funeral detail. It is tradition that the family of the fallen will keep the brass after the 21 gun salute takes place. But you never know for sure. IMO that's what makes relic hunting fun!

The only thin g Ive ever used blanks for was funeral detail, and when we go to the field to simulate real gunfire. I have noticed that the crimped "star" end will not always open when fired. I concur that it was possibly used in a funeral detail. It is tradition that the family of the fallen will keep the brass after the 21 gun salute takes place. But you never know for sure. IMO that's what makes relic hunting fun!

Well blanks were also used for war games and executions. On an execution a few had blanks so nobody knew who killed the condemed. Any military individual could have had it as a souvonier and brought it home. Very hard to tell.

Back
Top Bottom