Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > What's the Value? > CRHing

Notices

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-15-2019, 01:54 AM
kevecu69 kevecu69 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19
Smile Another good box of halves...

Finished another box of halves tonight and it was not to shabby. Not as good as my last box, but I will take this one anytime. Found the following keepers.

1 - Walker (43)
1 - Ken (64)
5 - Kenís 40%
1 - Proof (82) rough shape
34 - NIFCs

Good hunting to all.
Attached Images
    

__________________
Equinox 800 & 600, CTX 3030, XP Deus, AT Pro, Whites Classic 5

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 11-15-2019, 09:30 AM
cellrdwellr's Avatar
cellrdwellr cellrdwellr is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dirt Cellar, MA
Posts: 13,569
Default

Really nice haul, I know what NIFC means, but can you enlighten me how you can tell they are NIFC's? Is there a special mintmark or something good luck on your future boxes!

__________________
☆2019 LET'S GO PATRIOTS!
☆W-172~IH-26~Coppas-21~Tokens-3☆
☆Silva-61~Ster-25~Gold-6
☆Oldest Coin FTY:1722 Woods Hibernia☆

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 11-15-2019, 11:15 AM
Dr. Detroit's Avatar
Dr. Detroit Dr. Detroit is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Trussville Al
Posts: 785
Default

Originally Posted by cellrdwellr View post
Really nice haul, I know what NIFC means, but can you enlighten me how you can tell they are NIFC's? Is there a special mintmark or something good luck on your future boxes!
Not Intended For Circulation
NIFC stands for "Not Intended For Circulation" and includes many different types of coins that were not released as generic business strikes for everyday use including proofs and business strikes of coins from series that were essentially discontinued from "normal production", such as the Kennedy Half Dollar.

__________________
AT Pro / Fisher F2/Tesoro Cutlass II

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 11-15-2019, 12:11 PM
amc rulz's Avatar
amc rulz amc rulz is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: southern mich
Posts: 4,007
Default

Originally Posted by cellrdwellr View post
Really nice haul, I know what NIFC means, but can you enlighten me how you can tell they are NIFC's? Is there a special mintmark or something good luck on your future boxes!
All NIFC Kennedy halves are dated 2002-present, regardless of mint mark.
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 11-15-2019, 01:58 PM
Uncletroy Uncletroy is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 668
Default

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
All NIFC Kennedy halves are dated 2002-present, regardless of mint mark.
And 1987 and 1970 D
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 11-15-2019, 03:35 PM
KingTotsalot's Avatar
KingTotsalot KingTotsalot is offline
Official Tot Lot King
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 8,804
Default

Originally Posted by Uncletroy View post
And 1987 and 1970 D
Technically, 1987 year halves are not NIFC as they were released into circulation, but are scarce because there were only a little over 2 million of them minted. Coin collectors realized the decreased production numbers and snatched them off the market! any 1970 mintage half was only produced in special cellophane sets and to get into circulation someone had to break the set! So very rare to see in circulation. Much lower numbers minted than the 1987 halves, also 40% Ag.

__________________
BH Tracker IV, Tesoro Compadre, ATPro; 2019 CRH totals: 123 40%ers, 137 90%ers, 30 proofs, 347 NIFCs, , 4 87 Kens, 0 foreigns, 3 Au-plated

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 11-15-2019, 07:45 PM
amc rulz's Avatar
amc rulz amc rulz is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: southern mich
Posts: 4,007
Default

Originally Posted by Uncletroy View post
And 1987 and 1970 D
You are right Uncletroy.
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 11-15-2019, 07:46 PM
amc rulz's Avatar
amc rulz amc rulz is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: southern mich
Posts: 4,007
Default

Originally Posted by KingTotsalot View post
Technically, 1987 year halves are not NIFC as they were released into circulation, but are scarce because there were only a little over 2 million of them minted. Coin collectors realized the decreased production numbers and snatched them off the market! any 1970 mintage half was only produced in special cellophane sets and to get into circulation someone had to break the set! So very rare to see in circulation. Much lower numbers minted than the 1987 halves, also 40% Ag.
KT you are right!
Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 11-18-2019, 02:28 PM
Wolf-Dog's Avatar
Wolf-Dog Wolf-Dog is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 2,774
Smile

Wow, that's a great CRH!

__________________

Matthew 6:19-21 ~ 2019 Clad: 206 Coins ($14.24)
Totals: 606 Clad Coins ($40.39) ~ 1 Wheat Cent ($0.01)

1 Token ~ 4 Foreign ~ Oldest Coin: 1945 Wheatie ~ Au: 0 ~ Ag: 0
Garrett Treasure Ace 300 ~ Harbor Freight 9 Function ~ BH Jr ~ GP-Pointer
Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.