3 Mysteries

SmirkAtTheMerc

Elite Member
These three items are mysteries to me!

I don't know what these are. I found item number 1 (in the picture showing them side by side) just a couple days ago at an old farm house site. Early 1900s. Sorry I forgot to add the sizes with a penny!
The next item (2) I found at the same place on the same day. Item 3 I found a few months ago in the woods.

A little help? :D

Attachments

• IMG-0418 (1).jpg
    IMG-0418 (1).jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG-0417.jpg
    IMG-0417.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG-0416 (1).jpg
    IMG-0416 (1).jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG-0415 (1).jpg
    IMG-0415 (1).jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG-0422.jpg
    IMG-0422.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 531
It #2 looks like it's from a bell or buzzer of some sort.

Bike bell or I've never taken one apart but possibly from a rotary dial phone.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Last piece with the splines looks like a post where a windshield wiper arm attaches on a car.
I think you're right about that. The more I look at the bell the more I believe bike bell is correct, and that small clamp looking piece with two holes may have been the clamp that went around bicycle handle bars to hold the bell on.

Bike bell or I've never taken one apart but possibly from a rotary dial phone.

"Telephone ringer bell" was my first impression, too, but they were not typically chromed. This bell is chromed, and appears to be a little bigger, and maybe thinner metal than the old telephone bells usually were. I would bet "bike bell" is the correct ID.
Not so sure about the other 2 pieces.

"Telephone ringer bell" was my first impression, too, but they were not typically chromed. This bell is chromed, and appears to be a little bigger, and maybe thinner metal than the old telephone bells usually were. I would bet "bike bell" is the correct ID.
Not so sure about the other 2 pieces.
\

Thank you! :yes:

On any handlebar bike bells I’ve seen, the clapper mechanism was mounted on the inside of the bell, versus outside, as in the second photo. In the found one, is there a circular wear pattern on the interior of the unit, where an interior clapper made contact when the actuating lever was pulled?

Back
Top Bottom