• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Prizm V

L

Lawrence

The Prizm series was designed to detect for coins and small artifacts. Is my Prizm V able to detect larger and deeper objects like a metal box about a foot and a half long, 8 to 10 inches high and 8 to 10 inches wide, buried about four feet deep in nonmineralized soil?
Thanks for sharing your information.
Lawrence

davyo

I have a prizm 5 and a minelab se , the prizm wont go muchdeeper than 6 to 7 inches i think , im no expert at all , just my opinion

Lawrence, I believe you would be far beyond the capabilities of your detector. It functions best at 8-10 inches and 12 would be a stretch.

Okay, I know I will probably get a few "doubters" replying to this but, I have detected large targets at close to two feet with my Prizm V. I know it was that deep because I carry a small shovel that is two feet long "just in case." Conditions were what I would consider very good though. It was clean sand and the targets were very large. (AL cans and those stupid drink pouches) I have never hit on any targets much past about 12 inches in average soil.

Here's a test you can try...

take your detector outside and see how far away it will detect your car or any other very large metal object. You could even try this with a large pot or skillet if you can sneak it out of the kitchen. If you can't pick up a similar or larger size object in the air at 4ft, your detector won't pick it up in the ground. Several years ago my buddy had a candy bar sized silver ingot and we tried seeing how far away our detectors would pick it up. The CZ-5 I used then would pick it up a couple of feet away. If the box you are looking for is steel, it will be hard to find even if the detector picks it up. You will have to hunt in all-metal and a faint signal from the box 4ft deep will sound a lot like smaller targets much shallower. Good luck, I hope you are successful.

Back
Top Bottom